19. Home

Ella's POV

"I don't want you to go." I jutted my bottom lip out as I rested my head on his chest.

I could hear his heart beating.

"Why don't you just come back with me?" He suggested, brushing a finger through my hair and tucking it behind my left ear.

"I can't leave Charlie." I say.

"Bring him. Didn't he want to go home after the fight with Ace?"

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him." I say, sighing.

Silence enveloped us as Tom traced his index finger over my cheekbone, sending a pulsing sensation through me.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" Tom asked after a seemingly long silence.

I inclined my head upwards so that I could look into Tommy's eyes. "How about we do something else?" I double raised my eyebrows.

A grin stretched onto his face.

At his reaction, I sat upright and pulled off my top, slinging it across the room.

"You're so fucking hot." Tom says, taking off his own shirt.

"Obviously." I said, matter-of-fact before crashing my lips against his, our tongues colliding.

Adelaide's POV

The next morning, I entered Ace's room to check if he was still alive.

I was immediately bombarded with an awful fusion of weed, spilled alcohol and put-out cigarettes. It was what I imagined a scented candle created by an unstable alcoholic/stoner would smell like.

And his clothes littered the floor.

Did he have a pity party last night or something?

"Ace!" I shouted, clamping my nostrils shut with my left thumb and index finger.

He's such a disgusting pig! Oh my god!

"Ace, get the fuck up now!" I snapped, throwing the closest thing to me in his direction. "Charlie's leaving."

He rolled over with a dismissive groan.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye? Or convince him to stay?"

I waited for a response, but did not get one.

I should have eaten him in the womb!

I turned on my heels and exited his room, leaving him to wallow in his self pity. Stupid asshat!

Tom was already packed up and ready to go, he was just waiting for Charlie, who was as sick as a dog, traipsing his suitcase towards the foyer as he sniffled loudly.

He must have gotten sick the other night when he stayed out too late.

"Wait, does this mean you're going too, Ella?" Clayton asked.

"Tom and I talked about it last night and I decided I wasn't done with LA just yet." Ella says.

"Yayyyyy!" I hugged her.

"I can't believe you're leaving, Charlie." Clayton frowned.

I'm not trying to seem like a dick when I say this, but Charlie looked like absolute shit. His hair was a mess, his eyelids were heavy and his nose was red, like rudolf the red-nosed reindeer red.

"I figured I shouldn't ruin your summer with my sickness." He says, his voice faint.

"I'm gonna miss you!" Ella says, throwing her hands in the air to hug him.

He retreated away from her. "I don't want to get you sick." He says.

Ella's face fell with realisation as she stepped back.

"Tell mom and dad I say hi!" Nora says.

"Okay." He says, looking towards the staircase.

He was looking to see if Ace was coming downstairs...

I felt a slight twinge in my heart. I also felt immense anger towards my idiot brother.

Of course Ace would ruin summer!

"Okay, we better hit the road." Tom says before locking his lips with Ella.

They made out for a good two minutes while the rest of us stood there in an awkward manner, waiting for their little love-fest to end.

Charlie's POV

"Call me when you get home!" Ella says to Tom. "Oh, and take care of our Charlie!" She added at the very last minute as Tom reversed out of the driveway.

I can't believe Ace didn't even say goodbye.

"Do you want to pick the music?" Tom asks as he turns down an unfamiliar street.

"No thanks, I'm good." I replied.

"So, what happened with you and Ace?" He asked the question I didn't want to be asked.

"He blamed me for Sam knowing about us. Guess he's scared of people knowing that we're together." I say.

"I'm sorry, Charlie." He said genuinely. He clicked the radio on and left it on the first channel that came up. It was at a reasonable volume, which was good because if it were any louder, I fear my head might have exploded.

Honestly, I could not wait to be back in my own bed.

I slumped my head against the passenger seat's head rest, settling in for a long and awkward drive home.

We arrived home just before sunset. The sky was beautiful, set in vivid shades of pink and purple that faded into a deep blue. I had slept most of the drive here, which normally I would never do, but seeing as how I was sick, I could not help my eyelids forcing themselves shut.

"Thanks for letting me drive with you." I say before getting out of the car.

"Don't even sweat it, you're my friend, and you're Ella's best friend. I would do anything for you." He says.

Damn Tom, that was actually very sweet.

Ella is lucky to have such an amazing boyfriend.

"Maybe when you're no longer sick we can hang out?" Tom suggested.

"Uh, yeah sure." I say, moving to get my things out of the trunk.

After retrieving my things, I moved back to the window and said. "Bye."

"See ya later." He says, waving goodbye before reversing out of my driveway and dashing down the street.

Slowly, I dragged myself and my things to the front porch and swung open the door, finding my parents in the living room with their mouths agape at my presence.

"What are you doing home so early?" Mom wondered.

I set my things on the floor of the foyer before closing the door behind me. "I'm sick so I wanted to come home." I say, picking up my belongings and starting towards the staircase.

"Aw, don't worry about your things, leave them there, your father can take them up for you while I make you some chicken noodle soup." Mom darts into the kitchen.

Never mess with a mother when their child is sick, I guess.

I sniffled before trudging upstairs to my favorite place on earth: my bedroom.