Chapter 2

It was the day of the New Year's Eve Banquet, as Lilliana was in the ballroom, wearing a beautiful dress.

(This is what she's wearing and everything is the same, but imagine her hair is white and her eyes are red

(This is what she's wearing and everything is the same, but imagine her hair is white and her eyes are red.)

Everyone gasped and gushed at her beauty, as she mingle amongst the crowd.

"Duchess Tuania." She greeted, as the duchess curtsied along with another noblewomen.

"Empress Lilliana, it has been far too long." She said.

"Please, rise." Lilliana said, as they both raise their head. "Today's an event of happiness, so there is no need to-"

"Empress Lilliana!" Rashta said, as she ran towards Lilliana.

Everyone stiffened at the silver-haired girl's presence. 

"Wow! Empress Lilliana is so beautiful! Is Rashta beautiful, too?" She asks, as Lilliana stare at her in disbelief. "Don't you remember me? It's me, Rashta!"

"You look...fine." She said, as everyone around them whisper among themselves.

Why wouldn't they? Lilliana was an Empress of a foreign empire, greater than their own. She has made her name amongst the history books and she was revered among all the empires and kingdoms. She is the most celebrated person to walk the planet and yet, here Rashta was talking to her as if she was a nobody.

"How could she talk to the Empress of the Northern Empire so casually?"

"What an unruly girl...."

"Does she even know who she's talking to?"

"She may be a mistress but her status are completely different from that of an Empress."

At that moment, Rashta blushed in embarrassment and her eyes teared up.

"Rashta only wanted to greet you, but the Empress treats Rashta so badly!" She wailed.

"You can't greet a empress of a foreign empire in such an informal and impolite way." Duchess Tuania said, covering her face with her fan. "Empress Lilliana isn't someone you can refer to in such an unruly way."

"But I-"

"Rashta, please don't refer to me in such a way, you are a mistress while I am an empress." Lilliana said, turning her head away. "As a mistress, I expect the Emperor himself has informed you the rules of the Eastern Empire and that of another empire, just because he is infatuated with you doesn't have the right to not abide by the rules, I do not tolerate such insolence from anyone so naive."

All the nobles snorted and whispered, as Rashta trembled in embarrassment.

"Now, if you excuse us, we will leave you." She said, as they walked away.

"I must say, what unruliness." The noblewomen said.

"I agree, I expected her to know the common rules." Lilliana said, before noticing Sovieshu embracing Rashta in front of Navier.

She look at him in disgust, before noticing Navier's look, as she walked up to her with Duchess Tuania and the noblewomen.

"Empress Navier." Duchess Tuania said, making Navier notice her and Duchess Tuania.

"Ah, Duchess Tuania." She greeted.

"I heard you organized this year's New Year's Ceremony as well, it's very beautiful." Duchess Tuania complimented.

"Indeed, it's all lovely." Lilliana agree, as Navier smiled.

"Oh my, is that Prince Heinrey?" The noblewomen asks, noticing the prince of the Western Kingdom. "I heard he's a casanova, and that he associates with dangerous pirates...will he choose another romantic interest here?"

"I wonder who he'll have an affair with this time." Duchess Tuania said.

"It will surely start such drama." Lilliana said.

"Well, Prince Heinrey is single, so it might not just end as an affair." Navier said, taking a sip of red wine. "Since he's to be the future Emperor of the Western Kingdom, it would be favorable to us if he were to marry a woman from the Eastern Empire."

She then looked at her glass to see a reflection of Heinrey, looking at her. Causing her to lower her glass and looked towards him, as he waved his glass towards her, making her turn away. Lilliana saw this, silently chuckle, as she raised her glass of wine towards her lips.

'My...this is certainly interesting...' She thought.

"Regardless of how holier-than-thou she is, I suppose she had no choice but to do so to curry favor with the Emperor." Lilliana heard, as she looked to see some nobles gossiping.

"Shh, the empress, she's right there!" 

"Oops! D-Do you think she heard...?"

'To say such things in a momentous occasion like this....' She thought

"Pardon me...your majesty, did you really send a gift to that woman...?" The noblewomen asks, making Lilliana look at her with a questioning look.

Knowing there's a low chance that Navier would do such a thing.

"Gift?" Navier asks, confused, as the noblewomen got flustered.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry, well, it's that that woman said you did." 

With that sentence, Lilliana's mood dropped, remembering the woman's impoliteness and lack of etiquette.

"She said you sent her all sort of gifts to welcome her and congratulate her on becoming a mistress..." The noblewomen went on with a nervous glance.

'The nerve that woman contains is astronomical.' Lilliana bitterly thought, noticing Navier clenched her glass.

"I did not, Rashta must have misunderstood something." Navier said with a smile, as the surrounding ladies let out a airy laugh.

"Oh, of course!" The noblewomen said.

"Thank goodness." Lilliana sighs in relief.

"Oh my, it must be time to dance." Duchess Tuania said, as the music began.

Lilliana then glanced at Sovieshu to see that he is leading Rashta towards the dance floor, making her frown. Traditionally, the first dance should be the emperor and empress. However, she smiled when Heinrey invited Navier to dance, giving her a peace of mind.

"Empress Navier seemed happy, your highness." Delilah said, as Lilliana nodded.

"Indeed she does, although, I'm quite disappointed in Emperor Sovieshu." She sighs.

"Of course, he had chosen a mere mistress over the empress, by the way, your majesty." Delilah whispers, as Lilliana hums in acknowledgement to let her continue. "Are you hoping to send a letter to Lord Kosair soon?"

'Kosair is Navier's older brother, we meet when we were very young and got closer by the time he went to live in the Northern Empire for a while, the two of us then court each other over time, but he's currently on a trading trip that he wanted to help me with, we would often send letters to each other but I haven't gotten one from him in a while.' Lilliana thought, remembering some memories. "Indeed, I suspect he might be busy but I hope it will arrive to him safely."

"Rashta!" They heard Sovieshu exclaimed, and looked to see him leaving Navier to go to Rashta.