CHAPTER 1: To Face the Unknown Path

The atmosphere was filled with a tangible feeling of love and tenderness as Jade and her mother, Jeanne, spent their last morning together before Jade departed for America.

Despite not having a conventional mother-daughter relationship, Jade and Jeanne still shared a special bond, which was even more remarkable considering the circumstances of Jade's upbringing.

Jade's parents got divorced when she was just two months old, and her father, Jule Jean, moved to America and started a new family. Meanwhile, Jeanne stayed in Cuba to raise Jade on her own.

After sixteen years, Jade was ready to begin her university journey. She had been accepted into Stanford University in America, and Jeanne couldn't have been prouder.

Jeanne's tears of joy flowed freely from the moment Jade received the acceptance letter, and she couldn't contain her happiness.

A month ago, Jade had contacted her father, Jule, to inform him of her acceptance into Stanford University and her desire to live with him.

Jule felt overjoyed when he received the news that his only daughter would be coming to live with him.

Despite maintaining contact and Jule's annual visits, Jeanne never allowed Jade to stay with her father due to his other family.

Jeanne was extremely cautious and had strict rules for Jade, but Jade had expressed to her mother that she would prefer to live with someone she knew— her father, Jule.

After much convincing, Jeanne reluctantly agreed to let Jade move in with Jule, especially since he lived in the same city where Jade would be studying.

"Good Morning, Precious," Jade heard her mother's voice— a soft whisper that gently stirred her from the comforting embrace of sleep. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, she greeted her mother with a simple 'Good morning.' Her voice filled with a mixture of tiredness and affection. With tenderness, she pressed her lips against Jeanne's warm forehead, enveloping her in a tight embrace.

In that fleeting moment, Jade could feel her mother's love and warmth seeping into her very being.

After a few minutes of sharing the quiet warmth of the morning, Jeanne drew back. She cleared her throat, her voice carrying a subtle hint of sorrow and apprehension as she announced, "Breakfast is ready, Precious."

"Ok, Mine," Jade responded, embracing her mother once again. "I'm going to get ready, now," Jade added, her voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

Jade often addressed her mother as "Mine" when speaking to her. However, Jade did not intend to convey a sense of possession or ownership. Rather, for Jade, it signified the unique and inseparable bond between a mother and a daughter.

As Jeanne leaned in and gently brushed a kiss against Jade's hair, the weight of their impending separation settled upon them, casting a shadow over the morning. They both knew that this breakfast held a deeper meaning, as it would mark their final meal shared together before Jade departed for America.

Fifty minutes later, the morning sunlight danced through the window, casting a warm glow on the kitchen. Jade and her mother sat across from each other at the kitchen table, the silence around them thick with unspoken emotions.

Each bite of food seemed to carry a weight of longing and sorrow. Each glance stolen between them was a silent acknowledgment of the profound sadness that enveloped them.

Time slipped through their fingers like grains of sand, and soon enough, the meal came to an end. Jade looked at Jeanne, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears, realizing that it was already time to head to the airport.