The Beginning of the End

It was a shriek of pain that interrupted Merlyn's day

During her occasional breaks, Merlyn explored the castle and committed to memory all the corridors, routes, and doors. She was aware that this information would come in handy someday, so she devoted her free time to running errands for Gaius and Arthur and keeping herself updated on Camelot's layout.

Merlyn was taken aback by the unexpected sound, causing her to stumble and hit the wall of the corridor. The noise was incredibly loud and distinct, almost as if it were right in front of her. However, she knew it was impossible since no one else was in the hallway. Upon reflecting on the situation, Merlyn realized the sound was actually reverberating inside her own head. Another scream repeated itself, confirming her suspicion.

Merlyn might have been deemed crazy by Uther, but despite that, her mind wasn't capable of shouting, and it definitely wasn't a woman's shriek. Instead, it was the clamor of a certain child whom she identified the scream, and she contemplated how it infiltrated her thoughts.

'Help,'

The owner of the screams cried and, again, it was in her head. Merlyn paused and searched for the person; he must have been in the corridor to be talking to her!

'Help me, please!'

Merlyn looked for him everywhere, exploring the corridors and venturing into the courtyard. Despite feeling hopeless, she didn't give up her search until she finally saw him. He was a young boy, who appeared to be around eleven years old, hiding behind the motionless dog statue, cloaked in forest green. He gazed back at her with piercing blue eyes that crinkled slightly at the edges as he remained silent.

'Please, you have to help me,' He begged. That was when Merlyn noticed the guards. They entered the courtyard with fierce determination, swords drawn and faces flushed, and she knew that then the child was prey. He was to be hunted and killed. She couldn't have that. He was a boy, and he was kin. 'They're searching for me. They're going to kill me.'

'Why?' Merlyn's own voice projected across the yard to him, an ability she was not aware she was capable of yet.

Merlyn didn't stare at him, and instead focused her attention on the guards, who were looking in the opposite direction. She seized her chance. She hastened toward him and grabbed him by the arm, the one he wasn't keeping plastered to his body, trying not to create a scene as she made her way to the side door of the castle. "You need to run, please," She whispered. "They'll see you and then see me, and I don't need to get killed for this."

Despite his injuries, he hurried as fast as he could while Merlyn could hear the guards protesting, indicating that they had spotted them. Merlyn didn't bother to lock the door as she took the boy in her arms and rushed to the first place that came to mind, Morgana's bedroom. Without knocking, she barge in and shut the door with the boy snuggled up in her arms, leaning against it. She didn't ask for permission to enter.