Chapter 3

With no other ideas Alex teleported to the first place he could think of, picturing Morgan's messy apartment with the stupid toaster and the sagging couch that was only partially broken because of him. Reality buckled around him easily and he stepped through the tear, vanishing from the grove and looking around wildly on the other side. 'Morgan?'

Alex's worry stopped short, blinking in confusion at the scene in front of him. This was not Morgan's flat. The kitchen was clean for one, the usual pots and empty food packets tidied away with a bowl of actual fresh fruit on the kitchen bar. Instead of the old couch and oversized TV was a set of armchairs, a much smaller TV, and a low coffee table. Again. All clean and tidy, and entirely the wrong place. If it wasn't for the fact that he had definitely been aiming for Morgan's flat, and he had never missed before.

Before Alex could explore anymore one of the bedroom doors opened and a young woman Alex didn't recognise walked out of what should have been Morgan's bedroom.

'Who are you?' Alex asked, and the woman's head snapped up. In normal circumstances Alex would be entertained by the colour draining from her face and her eyes bulging as the terror made her too scared to scream, but he was too distracted right now. 'Right yeah okay, scary S tier out of nowhere, don't have time for that...'

'Y-y-you're...S...that's impossible,' she whispered, too quiet for most people to hear with the distance between them but Alex picked it up clearly enough.

'Evidently not,' Alex sneered, and the woman flinched. He rolled his eyes and looked around, 'Apparently my directions were off, I'm after High Rise apartments. Flat 9C.'

The woman swallowed and slowly nodded, 'That's here. But...'

Alex snorted, 'No it's not. Unless there's two High Rises, which honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was.' He trailed off, frowning and ignoring the trembling woman standing in the middle of her apartment as he racked his brain for all the different complex names in the city. That was until he caught her muttering a prayer under her breath, 'Really? What do you think God's going to do here?'

She jumped again, swallowing down a squeak of fear, and backed up slightly, 'Are...are you a ghost?'

Alex then turned to look at her properly again, 'Why on earth would I be a ghost?'

She looked at the windows, then at the apartment door that was behind Alex, 'Because you're dead.'

'Says who?'

'Says everyone.'

'Well then they're idiots,' Alex growled, stepping forward and making her back into the closest wall.

'I-I'm sorry sir,' she squeaked. 'I didn't-didn't mean to...insult you...or or or-'

'Alright enough,' Alex shook his head and looked away, already annoyed. 'Simple questions then. How many High Rises are in Central City?'

The woman blinked at him, 'As in, with the capitals? Just one.'

'Right, so I'm after Flat 9C in High Rise. Where is that?'

The woman paled again, 'This is Flat 9C in High Rise.' Alex scowled and the woman flinched, 'I'm sorry, I've only lived here a few months, I don't know anything.'

Alex paused at that, 'Do you know who lived here before?'

She shook her head, 'I know...um...they moved out very suddenly. Had to replace the carpet after a...um...an accident I think.'

Alex looked down at his feet, at the very new and very clean carpet that he was treading grave dirt into. 'And your landlord?'

'Mx Richman?' Alex's head snapped up at the name, and the woman jumped and continued, 'I've honestly never met them. The contract and maintenance goes through Miss Symons.' Alex looked at the window, recognising the buildings outside, and let out a very slow breath. 'I'm...I'm sorry I can't be more help.'