Chapter 12

Once Joey had left and their cups were empty Janice got ready to check on the farm, while Bernard took the moment to take the lens supplies and a fresh pot of tea into the living room. The two villains were still tangled on the sofa, although Morgan seemed to have finally calmed down. They weren't asleep, instead they were staring into the middle distance with their head resting on Alex's chest. Alex had sourced one of Janice's blankets and wrapped the two of them up, and was gazing down at Morgan with a mix of adoration and relief, fingers gently brushing through their curls.

Bernard set down the teapot and cleared his throat, and both villains looked up at him. 'Before you forget Morgan,' he said, holding out the lens case and eye drops. Alex frowned but Morgan only rolled their eyes and huffed slightly as they peeled themselves away from Alex and accepted the items. 'Let me know if you kids need anything okay?'

'Thanks dad,' Alex said, sitting up to watch Morgan balance the case and start screwing off the lids, 'Since when do you need glasses?'

'I don't...' Morgan looked at Alex, watching his confusion for a moment before something clicked and they snorted. 'Oh, no, I don't wear glasses.' And with a practised motion they took out one of the contacts, blinking a couple of times before looking back to Alex. One black eye, and one shining hazel.

Alex's shoulders slumped in relief, 'Oh thank God! I wanted to bring it up but I couldn't work out how to.'

Morgan chuckled as they took out the other one and tidied them away, reaching for the eye drops next, 'You thought I'd managed to actually change my eye colour? How and why would I do that?'

'Well I don't know! Anything could have happened! You could have made a deal with a demon or had a weird operation or gotten bionic eyes.' Morgan was shaking again, this time with laughter, and Alex beamed.

'No demon contracts. Most designs for bionic eyes are too temperamental, and you'll be happy to know I've not needed any operations.'

Alex grinned, 'So you weren't cursed by a swamp witch while delving into ancient ruins because you refused to eat her pickled slime soup?' Morgan cackled and Alex pretended to ponder, 'No? Didn't accidentally look into a black hole and see the fabric of the universe?'

'Alex please,' Morgan was trembling with laughter, holding up the bottle of eye drops with a shaking hand, 'I need to concentrate.'

'Or, I can keep theorising,' Alex moved forward and swiped the bottle from Morgan's hand, 'and you can tell me which ones are right.'

Morgan snorted, but leaned back to rest their head on the back of the sofa without any protest. Alex shuffled into position, reading the instructions on the bottle as Morgan just watched, 'I'm waiting for your next theory.'

'Yep, okay,' Alex steadied the bottle and Morgan looked straight up at the ceiling, 'Aliens?' Morgan snorted and Alex carefully began to drop the solution into their eyes. 'Not aliens, okay. Um...got caught in a machine where you traded DNA with a bat.'

'That actually happened,' Morgan said. 'Not to me and not a bat, but there was a meltdown in this illegal lab in South America. Guess what the guy got blended with.'

'Oh please tell me it was a sloth.'

'Bingo!'

Alex laughed, pulling back and Morgan sat up, blinking rapidly as they wiped at the bottom of their eyes. The bottle went on the table and Alex grabbed the plate of cookies, Morgan taking one eagerly. 'So, spooky contact lenses, fair enough, but why black?'

'Oh that's just the material,' Morgan said, biting into the cookie as they reached out for the case and unscrewed it with one hand, showing Alex the contents. The contact lens was floating in solution, and Alex frowned. He had seen costume contacts before, and most of them had a clear space in the lens for the pupil, but these were a perfect opaque disc instead.