Chapter 10

This can't be Alex.

Morgan watched as the lookalike stepped closer to them, summoning a ring of light around them that began to crackle, morphing into lightning before he thrust it out into a wave to blast back the charging heroes.

Alex is dead.

Morgan watched a few heroes get past the lightning, blocking it or absorbing it or phasing through it, barely halted in their charge.

He's been dead for a year.

Morgan clocked all of them easily enough, they had fought all of these heroes before. A mix of powers, but nothing to stop their natural power. Nothing to stop a sword.

The "heroes" made sure of that.

Chad was going to be the first one to reach them. Stupid self-righteous deluded Chad.

They have no right to do this.

Morgan clicked their fingers, smiling as Chad's leg buckled with a screech of pain, and a bloody patella clattered next to them. Someone else slid in the way, powering an attack that sailed over Morgan's head and left him wide open for Morgan to swing in with the sword, spilling his guts onto the rooftop in their wake. Someone screamed and Morgan turned to see the lookalike throw another hero off the roof, one that couldn't fly. There was a movement behind Morgan, a shadow fell over them, and Morgan raised their hand and snapped their fingers, stepping away as the body behind them dropped in time with a floating brain stem. Chad was crying, clutching his leg, and Morgan paused for a moment. He can wait a little longer .

The lookalike was diving into the others, dropping most of them with a single punch or kick, and more heroes were coming back to join the fray. Morgan gritted their teeth and swung at another hero, blocking a few strikes before burying their sword to the hilt in their chest and spinning away. The lookalike definitely looked like Alex. Moved like Alex. Sounded like Alex. Someone must have put a lot of effort into making him. Of course, it's obvious now.

'Cloning technology.' Morgan said.

'What?' Morgan missed the look of confusion from the clone as they planted their sword in another hero's neck.

'Cloning technology. Made you, trained you to copy him, and then released you on the day of...' Morgan paused then, swallowed past the growing lump in their throat, 'today. For dramatic emphasis.'

The clone scoffed, blocking a laser strike as some new heroes closed in. 'You would know all about dramatic emphasis. But the Fairness Association doesn't have cloning technology.'

'Roofer does,' Morgan replied, stealing a single vertebrae from a flying hero charging at them. 'And he should know better.'

'He's not been able to speed his cloning up that much has he?' The clone shot back. 'At best I'd be, what, ten?' Morgan scowled, distracted from replying by another hero diving in that they quickly sliced open. He was right, unless Rex had been working on that in secret. But over the course of a year? But then again, look at what Morgan had done in a year, it wasn't impossible for-

The clone shattered a hero's jaw before speaking up again, 'Besides, does Roofer know where I was buried?'

Morgan froze, and they span back to the lookalike as they looked past Morgan, sending off three laser blasts into heroes Morgan didn't see coming. There's no way there's no way there's no way. 'There's no way you can know that.'

He jumped closer to Morgan, lining up back to back and looking around for the next target. 'That deserted island off Cancún.' Morgan stiffened, their chest turning into a vice around their lung, but the clone(?) carried on, 'The little grove we found on the cliffs. Black marble was a perfect choice by the way-'