Chapter Two

"Nicholas?" I asked him, interrupting our comfortable silence as Ace pulled the buggy along the main road to the Valentine house.

"Hm?" he hummed, seemingly deep in thought himself.

"Do you think Mr. Valentine will be happy to hear of our engagement?"

He glanced over at me as though needing to visually see if I was being serious or not.

"Why would you believe he wouldn't be happy about it?"

I shrugged, not even sure I could explain it. It was just a feeling I had. "I dunno. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that he was pressuring you into marrying Isabella."

He laughed at my paranoia. "Darling, that was before we'd even met. He thought if I had a wife, I'd be a happier man, and his daughter just happened to be available. Besides, he realises now how Isabella feels about Robbie and the feelings I have for you."

He had a point, but I still wasn't convinced. "But... why does he seem so hesitant for Isabella and Robbie to marry? He wanted you to propose to Isabella as soon as possible."

Teddy was the usual piggy-in-the-middle, and Nicholas reached past him so he could take my hand. "I don't know, darling. There could be many reasons. Besides, it's really none of our business. Which is why I don't think Isabella asking you to talk to Mr. Valentine was appropriate."

"I understand her frustration. Sometimes things feel so right and the last thing you want is for people to disapprove. Like when I bought Clay's Cottage, for example. Anna and my parents thought I was crazy, but I knew deep down it was something I had to do."

"I'm glad they didn't talk you out of it," he said, smiling at me. "I'm glad you were able to save it."

I smiled back at him. "Me, too." If anyone else had bought the property, the cottage would have most likely been demolished, the family's belongings either thrown away, donated or sent to a museum. The Clay family name long forgotten.

"Would your parents have approved of our engagement?"

"Oh, I'm sure they would have. Maybe not so much on how quickly we got engaged, though. Anna would have." I smiled at the thought of her. "Oh man, she would be so stoked. And jealous. We would always try to predict who would get engaged first. I always thought it would be her. Especially lately, because she is in a pretty serious relationship right now... or... will be?"

I sighed. Thinking about my best friend always made me feel emotional. Nicholas sensed it.

"You miss her." It was a statement, not a question. He knew.

I swallowed hard, holding back tears. "When we were eight years old, we went through a phase where we would clip pillowcases to our hair and pretend they were veils. We would take turns being the bride, and it was then we made a promise to be each other's maid of honour when we got married for real. I can't believe she won't be standing there with me on the day." I glanced down at our joined hands and watched his thumb stroke the back of mine.

"I'm sorry," I heard Nicholas softly say.

"For what?" I asked him, lifting my head to make eye contact with him once more.

"For selfishly taking you away from your family."

"Nicholas, no." I turned in my seat to face him, wrapping both hands around his then placing it above my heart. "You didn't selfishly do anything. I made the choice to stay, remember? I chose you. Never feel guilty about the choice I made, all right?"

He hesitated, but finally nodded. "But if you ever want to go back... Please be honest with me. Tell me and I will understand. I won't hold you back."

It was my turn to nod, then I turned to face the front. "As much as I miss Anna, I am lucky to have made friends here. Friends I would be honoured to have by my side at my wedding."