Chapter Five

So it turned out the old Hogg cottage was at the end of a road roughly halfway between town and the Valentine house.

We had been travelling for around fifteen minutes before the road came into view.

Robbie was once again up ahead of us, pushing his horse hard, desperate to see his soon-to-be fiancée again.

He had been faced forward the whole trip, in his own little world, determination driving him to find his love. Until he turned suddenly in his seat, one arm raised and waving to catch our attention.

Nicholas and I exchanged glances before Nicholas slapped the reins, encouraging Ace to speed up.

"Sorry, boy," Nicholas apologised to his beloved horse. "But something's clearly amiss."

Satisfied that we had picked up speed, Robbie turned in his seat to face the front once more.

As we advanced further along the road, a dark figure came into view in the distance, standing at the intersection with one hand shielding their eyes from the low morning sun.

"Is that Isabella?" I asked Nicholas, knowing very well that he could only see what I could.

"Perhaps?" he responded. "The person is female, I'm sure of it."

"They're wearing such dark clothes, though. Isabella loves her colours."

"Whoever it is, what in God's name are they doing all the way out here with no horse or buggy in sight?"

"Is it safe to approach, do you think?"

"Well, there's three of us and one of her. I think we'll be fine," he said, one side of his mouth curling up into a smile.

"All right, smarty pants. But don't come crying to me if she pulls out a pistol," I retorted, making him laugh.

We watched as Robbie came to a stop in front of the woman, wasting no time diving out of the buggy and going to her.

The woman went stiff, balling her hands into fists, then abruptly turned and stormed off in the opposite direction. Robbie followed her, hands held up in a praying position.

"It's Isabella, all right," I said.

"Are you sure?"

I laughed. "You are such a man. Look at their body language. Isabella is storming away from him, obviously still mad at him. Robbie is following like a puppy dog, begging for her forgiveness."

"Ohh," he said, realising that I was right.

"Let's just say I've witnessed quite a few fights between Anna and her boyfriends over the years. And they pretty much all looked like that," I explained. Then added, "Although, sometimes the roles were reversed."

Nicholas pulled Ace to a stop behind Robbie's horse and buggy, and we jumped down to join the chase.

"Stay, Teddy," I ordered him, and he obediently plonked his little behind back down on the seat.

We made our way towards Isabella and Robbie who were getting further up the road.

"I don't want to talk to you right now," we heard Isabella yell up ahead.

"I understand you're angry, Isabella, and I can explain everything. But please, at least allow me to take you home."

"No," she responded firmly.

Robbie stopped in his tracks and sighed heavily. Then he turned in his spot and noticed us coming towards him.

"She won't talk to me. Maybe you could try?" he asked us, pleading look on his face.