Four

With a small wave to the barista- who waved back with what you could only hope was a genuine smile- you followed Monty out of the cafe and towards the nearby elevators. Still not used to the place, your eyes wandered and immediately landed on the set of doors for the Superstar Daycare.

Beside you, Monty made a sort of grunting sound. "If I were you, girlie, I'd steer clear of that place. Sure, the theater is fun, but lemme tell you: those guys are straight-up wackjobs."

Your eyebrows went high, even more grateful that you were insistent on not working there. "Scott said it's a lot of work to mind all those little kids."

With a scoff, the gator pushed the bear-shaped button to call the elevator. "Employees don't really watch 'em. They don't need to. Not when Sun an' Moon watch everything."

Sun and Moon. You did notice some images of candy with that theme, but there was no indication that the mascots were tangible animatronics. As the elevator doors opened with a ding, the two of you stepped inside. "Are they that bad? I mean... they watch toddlers, right?"

Monty paused, his head twitching towards both sets of doors, despite knowing the elevator was moving. Like he didn't want to be heard. "Long story short? Sun is hyperactive, don't shut up for a second. And... look, just don't be here when the lights go out, girlie. Sun ain't as bad, but even he'll tell ya to keep the lights on. It's Moon who's the problem."

Your stomach sank, nervousness washing over you swiftly. You tried to smile and push it back down, but the gesture was twitchy. "Well... good thing I don't work overnights, right?"

He tilted his head to the side for a moment before finally responding. "Yeah, all right, that's true. Afternoons ain't bad. And hey, you get to see yours truly in an hour," he added, eyebrows wiggling again. "Real live performance, and I'll make sure ya get front row seats."

It was like he was trying to flirt with you, which felt strange to say the least... but it got you to start laughing. Luckily the gator didn't seem offended in the least.

Stepping from the elevator and into the Atrium took your breath away; as gigantic as the place looked on the outside, it didn't do it justice. Just the Atrium alone was massive, and you couldn't stop yourself from trying to look at everything all at once.

There is no fucking way I won't get lost.

Your head slowly turned back to face the front- only to be greeted with another bot who you swear had materialized in that exact moment to scare the living shit out of you. You shrieked in a way that made nearby guests flinch, your heart liable to pound right out of your chest. "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!"

"Take a map," the STAFF bot said, still leaning towards you with the folded map in its grip.

But the bot was promptly shoved aside before you could say anything else. "Holy moly, sorry about that, girlie," Monty snatched the map and politely handed it to you. "I, uh... forgot about these things. Scare the daylights outta folks coming out of the elevators, every time."

Pulse still in your throat, you took the map but didn't give it a glance, pocketing the thing with shaky hands. The STAFF bot had already wheeled itself to the side, waiting for it's next unsuspecting customer to accost. "Y-yeah, yeah... it's fine... thank you, Monty." Then you paused, biting at your lip. "I dropped the f-bomb, didn't I?"

"Like butterfingers, yeah." He chuckled, rolling his shoulders back. "Don't you worry, boss-man won't hear a thing. I think he's delivering a birthday cake, anyways." Lifting his sunglasses, you were given a wink before the gator clapped his claws together once. "Right! Boring, required stuff first, then we get to have some fun!"

Following Monty around towards the food court area, you had to take care not to get swiped by his tail. A small part of you realized that he was reacting a little too realistically to everything. Warning you about the daycare attendants, shoving the STAFF Map bot aside in frustration...

"Somethin' on your mind, girlie?" Monty was eyeing you as you walked.

Shit. He's really, really intricate and advanced. Would he want the truth?

You hesitated, forcing yourself to look away. "Monty, listen... I... I don't wanna... you know... offend you or anything..."

He stopped walking, heavy hand on your shoulder to get you to follow suit. But there was no ill will in his gesture. No guests were in earshot, the two of you off to one far end of the food court area. "I know what you're thinkin'," he murmured, removing his glasses to show eyes that seemed... gentle, almost. "You ain't sure about this. Me, I mean. How I'm talking to ya, answering and reacting. Almost like I'm human. Yeah?"

That was... a little too on-the-nose. "I don't wanna offend you," you repeated hurriedly.

"Girlie, girlie, chill. We get that all the time. It don't offend me, or any of us." The hand on your shoulder squeezed reassuringly. Or... you hoped so. "If you do as good as I think you will, and you stick around, I'll give ya a surprise." He winked at you. "And it'll blow your mind."

That didn't seem like a surprise, it felt too foreboding. Like he was hiding something.

"Now. You ready for Monty's Grand and Not At All Boring Tour?" When you nodded, he put his sunglasses back on and cackled. "LET'S ROCK AND ROLL!"