Chapter 2: Across the Pokémon World

Guided by Cammy's special pendant, the Carbink and Gabite began their journey into the wilds of the Pokémon world. It was going to be a long and arduous journey to Cammy's home, but Gus didn't mind. He had made forays into unfamiliar territory before, mostly to find caves to go spelunking in, but this was his first real trip away from home. Gus was excited about all the treasures he might find on the way, and if it was to cheer up his precious Carbink, it would be all upside for him. Still, the Gabite was young and had a lot to learn about the world. He wasn't sure just what kinds of Pokémon he and Cammy might encounter out in the unknown. They could be kind and helpful, like Audino, or they could be vicious killers like Carvanha.

"Look, it's a herd of Phanpy!" exclaimed Cammy, who would have been pointing at them if she had arms. Gus walked up from behind the Carbink to see the group of Phanpy trotting along through the clearing, following the lead of their Donphan elder.

"Well, they seem friendly, at least," mentioned Gus, starting to feel a little more at ease.

"We must be getting close to the river. Phanpy like to make their homes on the riverbank," explained the Carbink.

"You sure know a lot about other Pokémon," responded Gus, impressed with her knowledge.

"I met a lot of Pokémon while I was running away from Samir. There were plenty of nice ones, but none of them wanted to help me get back home..." said Cammy, sighing as she remembered her recent past. Patting the Carbink on her mane, Gus assured her he'd stick with her.

"Most Gabites aren't even lucky enough to find one Carbink. Finding a whole bunch has gotta be a once-in-a-lifetime event!" he exclaimed, helping the little Fairy-type forward.

"What are you gonna do if you meet that many?" she asked, starting to worry a little.

"Oh, I'd probably have a hard time if I tried to keep a lot of them in my hoard. I'm happy with just one. Still, seeing an entire pack would be incredible. They're just so fluffy and cute and shiny and I love 'em!" exclaimed Gus, causing Cammy to blush at the unintended compliment. Soon, she and her chauffeur had reached the river, just like she said they would. The water rippled and glistened in the sunlight, pleasing the Carbink and Gabite's eyes but puzzling their minds.

"What should we do? I can't float over water," asked Cammy, looking up and down the river for any clues as to how they'd make it across.

"How come? You can float over land, why not water?" responded Gus.

"I'd sink like a rock!" exclaimed the Carbink, shivering at just the thought. The Gabite was confused, but figured it was just due to her being a Rock-type.

"Well, then I guess I'll just have to carry you across," he said, taking Cammy into his arms.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" she responded, looking up at Gus with a nervous expression on her face.

"Sure! I'm aquatic enough for it, aren't I?" he told her, reassuring the Carbink with his shark-like features. Cammy still wasn't so sure, but she didn't have much of a choice in the matter as Gus took her and plunged into the waters below.

"Eek!" cried the Carbink, as she dangled perilously above the river, held up only by Gus' claws and his determination.

"See? This isn't so bad," he said, only for the reality of the situation to sink in. The Gabite started to flail, struggling to keep himself above water as he held Cammy over his head.

"Gus! Swim back to shore, quick!" she exclaimed, to no avail. They were drifting further away from the riverbank with every passing second. Cammy could do nothing to help, as without arms, she didn't have many options to keep Gus from drowning. When all hope seemed lost, a passing by Floatzel noticed the flailing Gabite and his companion, and quickly sped over to help.