Chapter 3: Facing it Together

As Cammy and Gus made their way through the woods, it became apparent to the Gabite why his friend was uneasy.

"Gosh, you were right... This place is spooky," he said. The trees were dark and decayed, an eerie fog permeated the air, and the canopy blocked out the sunlight. To make things worse, Cammy swore she could hear laughs coming from the darkness. The only comfort the two had was the soft pink light of Cammy's Fairy power.

"This light sure is convenient. I don't know what we'd do without it..." she said, having never felt more grateful to be the Type that she was. She floated along, leading her Gabite friend deeper and deeper into the woods as she followed her pendant. The shadows around her danced, and the trees seemed to stare at her with malicious eyes, but Cammy pushed on anyway.

"I hope there aren't any ghosts around... This seems like the kind of place they'd like to hide," noted Gus, causing the Carbink to jump.

"Ghosts?" she exclaimed, stopping in her tracks. Before Gus could respond, a rope trap below Cammy sprung and tightened itself around her. In the blink of an eye, the Carbink was spirited away, dragged deeper into the woods and into the grasp of who knows what.

"Cammy!" cried Gus, running after his beloved Carbink as she was pulled away by the snare.

"Eek! Help me!" she screamed, helping Gus track her by the sound of her voice. Cammy continued to cry out for help as Gus chased her through the dark forest, vaulting over fallen trees and diving through bushes, but when the Carbink's voice went quiet, he was afraid he'd lost her. That was until he stumbled upon an enormous hollowed-out log. Despite the remote location, the fallen tree had doors, windows, and lights like any other home. Whatever had taken Cammy lived inside, so Gus didn't hesitate to let himself in.

"Cammy? You in here?" he asked, creeping his way through the eerie house. All around him, he saw various pieces of gothic furniture, meaning someone was indeed living here. Whoever it was, they had an interest in his Carbink friend as well. As Gus prepared to turn a corner, he heard what sounded like a voice. The Gabite decided to listen in to see if it could give him any clues.

"Oh, how soft you are, my little Carbink. So soft and squishy and cute, just like me. It's so nice to finally have a friend. Are you happy to have a friend, too?" they said in a playful, feminine voice. "I know you can't talk. It's okay, because I know you're happy on the inside. Don't you worry, I'm gonna love you and snuggle you and cuddle you forever and ever. That's what friends are for, right?" the voice continued. As Gus leaned in to take a peek, he saw a Banette with twin-tails lying atop a black bed with gray sheets. 

In her hands was a Carbink plush that looked remarkably like Cammy

In her hands was a Carbink plush that looked remarkably like Cammy. It was a soft orange just like her, and even had the same cute bow that she wore. Gus couldn't believe that a Pokèmon could turn into a plushie, but once he saw her heart-shaped pendant lying on the floor, he knew it was true. The Gabite observed the situation intently, praying for an opening where he could swoop in and save his friend. Finally, after several minutes of cuddling, the Banette left the Carbink plush on her bed to go do something in another room. Taking his chance, Gus rushed over to the bed and swiped the plush before she could notice.