Chapter One - I'll call you for my rescue then

Este hates people.

Estella Taylor goes by the name Este and she is not so fond of people. She has made a few exceptions, but she still hates people. The reason for this would be her mother.

Veronica had been filling Este's mind with how society thinks girls should behave. This has developed a vile hatred in her toward people. Although her very first exception is her sister.

Emerson who happens to go by Emmy only follows the rules she wants to follow. She says "A girl is never defined by the looks of society." She is never afraid to wear trousers or even carry a pocket knife with her. She can argue and even physically fight a man if she needed to. She would win every time by the way.

Este's father had passed away long ago. Nicholas' views about girls were far different from her mother's. He wanted Este and Emmy to do only what they wished to do. His views are what made Emmy the strong and independent woman she is now. Emmy has her own shop in Charlette town selling safety weapons she carved herself. Her shop is what brings a steady income to the family. Este aspires to be independent just like her. Este and her family recently moved to Avonlea as they had an enormous amount of land here. Este's family was quite wealthy. They were as wealthy as the Barrys. Maybe even more.

School was starting next week and Este wasn't sure how she was feeling about that. She had always been smart in academics but that didn't mean she liked it. Este always had a connection to music. She couldn't play instruments but her voice was enough to make jaws drop among the crowd. Her mother only used her voice to impress guests. She told her it was a mere hobby and could never be a career.

Este has lived long enough to ignore her mother's malicious words. The only person she trusted and looked up to was her sister Emmy. With that, she knocks on Emmy's door to get genuine advice.

"It's me, Emmy." she says. "I know it's you, silly. Mother would never respect our privacy and knock." Both share a short laugh as Este sits on the bed. Este says, "School starts next week." Emmy responds "I'm aware." "Is there anything I should know about schooling in Avonlea?" asks Este. "I do not think so. But yes, if anyone or anything bothers you, I'm always here to listen. The town boys aren't the best and I don't want them to affect your education in any way." "Of course, and thank you," Este says with a smile, receiving one in return.

~~~

It was the first day of school.

Este might've been good at studies but she was not as good in life. Este woke up exactly 40 minutes before school starts, 20 minutes is already taken by the walk from home to school. She had 20 minutes to sort out her life. That couldn't be nice.

She could've sworn Emmy was a goddess at that moment. Emmy had Este's bottle of milk ready and her lunch and bag completely packed. Este somehow managed to figure it all out and reach school a few minutes early.

Este never considered herself pretty. Este didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes; she was a brunette and had deep brown eyes. Este never found it helpful to compare herself with others via beauty, she only valued the qualitative features of a person and never the physical.

She reached school and was met with a rather gorgeous brunette. "Hello, you must be Este. My father knew Mr. Taylor very well. Oh! Where are my manners? I'm Diana." The girl introduced. Este smiled at the reminder of her father. "Hello Diana, I'm Estella but I prefer to be called Este." Este gave her a smile.

Diana seemed nice. Este's father was only acquainted with people he found loyal and trustworthy. With that thought, she already considered Diana her friend. Diana was more than pleased to befriend Este as well.

A girl walked in with gorgeous red hair. It obviously did not seem as gorgeous to others as they all shared a laugh as if they'd seen a clown. Este approached the girl and as she got closer, she noticed freckles on her face. If not for others, for Este this girl was attractive.

"She's Anne, the Cuthberts have adopted her. I met her a few days back and we became best friends since then. She's got an incomparable imagination." Diana's words seemed to intrigue Este even more. She had to be friends with Anne. She decided to approach her with Diana by her side.

"Hi, Anne!" Diana greeted her with a wide smile. "Hello Anne, I'm Estella but you can call me Este, I'm new here as well," Este said politely. "It's better if you ignore those people, Anne, they don't seem to have anything better to do with their time." Este tried to comfort Anne, receiving a grateful smile from her in return. "Thank you for your benevolent words, Este. I'm glad to have met you." "Benevolent? Again, you with using words I've never heard." Said Diana.

Suddenly a group of girls walked through the door and greeted Diana. Diana introduced Este and Anne to them. They introduced themselves as Josie Pye, Ruby Gillies, and Tillie Boulter and gave Este a smile. Este liked all of them until they noticed Anne and humiliated her for her red hair and freckles and even for being an orphan. All those things were out of Anne's control.

Diana never disrespected Anne and stayed with her. She noticed Este hadn't kept her milk bottle by the stream and guided her out towards the stream. Este was just about to thank Diana when someone pulled a strand of her hair.

Este did not like that. She found out it was a guy named Billy. "Another new girl! At least this one's pretty." Este kept her focus on Diana and said "Thank you, Diana. Let's get back to class." The ignorance seemed to have annoyed the boy. He pulled her hair again. "You better not do that ever again." Este said almost in a threatening tone. Diana was about to drag her to class.

"Hey, Billy!" Another guy appeared right behind us. "Gilbert! You're back!" This Gilbert guy even if not by intention saved Billy from getting punched in the face. "I think someone was asking for you back in class. You should go and check." Said Gilbert. "Alright, let's catch up in lunch then. See you later gorgeous." Billy finally left.

"Was he bothering you?" Gilbert asked Este as they were about to leave. "I'm Gilbert." Este was not sure why he was concerned but she appreciated it anyway. "I'm Estella, and yes, I wish to never have him as my company again," Este said looking in the direction Billy just went. "Ruby is calling me; I'll save a seat for you. Come soon." Said Diana. Este gave her a nod as she left.

"Well, you can ask me to rescue you if he bothers you again." Said Gilbert. "I am capable of rescuing myself as well as others but thank you." Este thought his mind too considered women weak until he said, "I'll call you for my rescue then." Este gave him a smile and said, "Anytime."

The bell rang and both went to class. Ruby sat with Este, right behind them was Anne and Diana, and behind them were Josie and Tillie. "Hello Ruby, I love your ribbons." Complimented Este but Ruby didn't acknowledge her at all. Poor Este didn't realize how smitten Ruby was over the boy she just befriended.

AN:

Thoughts on the first chapter? Is the writing okay?

As it's a new story voting would help a lot. Please vote if you wish to <3

Love, Val.