The First Encounter

Allen and Harper's equipment was old and worn, but still functional. They wore standard-issue military fatigues that had been patched up multiple times, showing signs of wear and tear. Their combat boots were scuffed and dirty, barely holding together. They each carried a backpack containing their supplies, which were meager at best. They had a few MREs, a water canteen, a first aid kit, and a flashlight. But the kit and flashlights were barely usable, most of the items were either broken or expired. Their weapons were standard-issue rifles that had seen better days, but they still worked. The magazines, held by a chest rig, were rusted and dented, and the scopes were either shattered or missing altogether. Allen carried a sidearm, a standard-issue pistol, while Harper carried a combat knife strapped to her thigh. Their equipment was not the best, but it was all they had in the harsh conditions they now faced.

As they walked, they could hear the distant sounds of water dripping and metal clanking against metal. The air was thick with dust and the faint smell of decay, making it hard to breathe.

Despite the oppressive atmosphere, Harper felt a glimmer of hope as they neared the entrance. She had been trapped in the bunker for far too long; the idea of exploring the outside world was both thrilling and terrifying.

They both made their way through the dimly lit corridors of the bunker, stepping carefully over rubble and debris. Every so often, they would come across a collapsed section of the bunker, forcing them to find a new path.

As they navigated through the maze-like corridors, the air grew increasingly stale and musty. The HVAC system was long gone, so it wasn't much of a surprise.

As Allen and Harper approached the entrance, the sight before them was dismal. The once imposing steel doors were now twisted and mangled, partially torn off their hinges. The control panel lay in shattered pieces on the ground, wires, and circuits spilling out like vines.

A thin layer of dust covered everything, coating the floors, walls, and even the ceiling. And what wasn't covered in dust was covered in water. It must have rained recently. The only sounds were their footsteps echoing through the desolate halls, and the occasional creaking of the metal structure settling.

Harper shivered as a cold wind blew from the entrance, holding her rifle tighter. Allen noticed her discomfort and gave her a concerned look. There wasn't much he could do to comfort her, and he was sure she would pull through.

As they stepped out of the bunker, the bright sun dazzled them for a moment. They covered their eyes and looked around them. The bunker was located on a fairly small island, with mountains rising in the middle. A gentle breeze carried the smell of the ocean and the sound of the waves hitting the shore.

"Wow..." Harper whispered. "It's beautiful."

"Remind me, Harper." Allen said, squinting into the distance. "The bunker was on a mountain range, right?"

Harper nodded. "Yes, sir, when I was stationed at this bunker I drove here by truck before I was put into stasis, but it looks like the road is long gone."

"Did the oceans rise...?" Allen looked around. "Looks like it."

He glanced at Harper, watching as she gazed at the sky. He thought the sun was pretty bright, but maybe she was more, what, resilient?

"Right." Allen said, brushing off some dust. "So where do we go from here? Do we have a plan?"

"Sir?" Harper tilted her head to the side.

Allen sighed. "Alright. I'll figure something out. Why don't you head for higher ground? Scout out what you can see off the island. I'll see if any external structures are still standing. We'll meet back here in an hour."