Chapter II

The whole world went around once, and twice, and three times, and Tsujii Masashi's head came rolling down the grassy hill, pulling him after it. He regained consciousness at the foot of the hill, disoriented and bewildered. His head throbbed from the tumbling descent, and he groaned as he attempted to stand. It was then that he heard the sound of hurried footsteps approaching, growing louder with each moment. Before the riceworker could fully figure out what happened, a figure landed nearby. As he observed the surroundings, Masashi's heart sank as he realised his hat and staff were missing. They were not only cherished possessions but also symbols of his identity and purpose in the Rice Fields. Determined not to let his self-importance waver, Masashi began to fumble around in the grass, his hands sweeping through the blades in search of his lost items.

Yongsheng had entered the portal shortly after Masashi. He was experienced and managed to maintain his composure during the journey and find his balance upon arrival. Now standing in the Rice Fields, a Realm he knew well, he looked over the landscape. This Realm, dubbed the beginning of the Omniverse, consisted of grasslands adorned with wild rice that stretched as far as the eye could see. The terrain was dominated by hip-tall grass and swaying ears of rice, occasionally interrupted by the presence of trees, shrubs, and small forests.

In this Realm, the people tended to stick together, forming villages primarily in the flatter areas. They cultivated the land around these settlements, ploughing the soil to create neatly arranged fields of varying sizes.

Shielding his eyes from the bright sun with his palm, Yongsheng squinted and surveyed the scene. In the distance, he spotted two separate villages. The village farther away appeared more developed, resembling a feudal town with its structured layout and refined architecture. In contrast, the closer village looked somewhat rustic and primitive. Both villages stirred a sense of familiarity within Yongsheng, but the specifics of his past visits slipped his mind. It mattered little, though, as his quest within the Rice Fields remained the same. He set his sights on the closer, rural village. It aligned better with the traditional essence of the Rice Fields, and he believed it would serve as the starting point for addressing the monster problem that had brought him to this Realm in the first place. Without waiting for his new companion, who was still busy in the grass, the warlock set off to said village.

Yongsheng knew he had to find the priest named Amano Seitaro, and he happened to have a personal interest in meeting the latter. Both villages boasted churches of similar structure, devoted to the studies of Chromosomes and the vast expanse of the Omniverse. With no clear indication of which village housed said papal representative, Yongsheng figured he had to investigate both. Approaching the settlement, his keen eyes took in the sights and sounds that surrounded him. But it wasn't just the lush greenery anymore that caught his attention.

The young warrior pressed forward. As he drew nearer, the distinct features of the place gradually revealed. The quaint houses, crafted from sturdy timber and adorned with carvings, with their weathered thatched roofs, stood in harmonious unity with the natural landscape. Amidst the sea of rice fields that stretched beyond the horizon, Yongsheng's gaze fell upon the various establishments that dotted the village square. A metal workshop emanated the steady hum of craftsmanship. Next to it, a shoemaker's stall displayed an array of finely crafted footwear.

But it was the sign hanging above the entrance of a tavern that caught Yongsheng's attention — the Copper Mug. The name struck him as ironic, for copper was a precious commodity in the Rice Fields; the workers had to travel to places like Realm 1 or Realm 2 in order to obtain copper from trade. As the monk approached the tavern, he saw and heard a few people chatting and clinking mugs. A thought ran through Yongsheng's head, and the thought of quenching his thirst while engaging in conversation with the locals seemed enticing. The tavern at this moment offered him the opportunity to gather valuable information and potentially uncover some things he'd be interested in.