Chapter 7

Hazel woke up the next day to whispers in her room. She rolled over to see Imelda and Nerida brewing a potion in a small cauldron.

"What are you doing?" Hazel asked, her voice thick with sleepiness. They both looked up and Nerida smiled sheepishly.

"I may have forgotten to brew a Wiggenweld potion for class today." She added dittany leaves and the girls watched as it turned a smooth green colour.

"Fuck." Hazel groaned, throwing her face into her pillow. She had forgotten too. Nerida glanced at her and then at the cauldron.

"I think I'll have some extra, if you want to take it. It'll probably suck bu-"

"Thank you, Nerida." Hazel interrupted and smiled. Nerida was technically in her debt since Hazel had retrieved a merfolk artifact for her last year. It was not easy, with the roaring wind, clapping waves, and casting incendio with a wet wand. She pulled herself out of bed and dressed for class. Nerida handed her a bottle before she left. Imelda waited for Hazel to gather her supplies.

"Did you hear what Sebastian did?" Hazel asked her. Imelda shook her head. "I heard that he walked into the library and was escorted out by Scribner herself." She laughed, remembering their encounter with Peeves last year. Scribner certainly disliked the boy.

"Scribner hates him. How many times has he snuck into the restricted section?" Imelda wondered aloud as she held the door open for Hazel. They emerged into the common room.

"Too many to count. And that's only counting the times he got caught." Hazel giggled and looked around for him and Ominis. She saw them near the common room window, teasing the first years. Some things never change. She rolled her eyes at Imelda and went over to them.

"Ready to go to History?" She asked Ominis. He nodded. Sebastian turned when he heard her speak and they locked eyes. It seemed like he knew something; his gaze was so intense... or had she simply forgotten how his eyes seemed to display every emotion he had.

"Have a nice day yesterday, Hazel?" He asked, staring. She stared back and swallowed.

"Yes, thank you. Let's go Ominis." She said, her throat becoming very dry within a matter of seconds. She grabbed Ominis' hand and dragged him to the staircase. "You didn't tell him, did you?!" She whisper-yelled.

"Of course not. I think he just gets suspicious whenever you leave now. Like what happened in Feldcroft." He said, without thinking.

Hazel raised an eyebrow, "So you were listening! I knew it." Ominis grinned.

"You two weren't exactly quiet."

As they spoke they walked to the History of Magic classroom. The classroom was notorious for always being cold, since ghosts apparently preferred it that way. Hazel wasn't sure how they could tell the difference, but everyone figured it was better not to piss off supernatural beings. She shivered as she walked in.

"Want to go to Hogsmeade for a Butterbeer after school?" She whispered to Ominis halfway through the lesson. He jumped slightly, clearly woken up.

"Sure." Neither of them brought up the idea of inviting Sebastian. Classes dragged on, but Hazel was pleased when she saw Imelda and Sebastian in DADA.

"So you wrote to me that you met a boy last summer." She teased when she caught Imelda staring at Sebastian.

"Oh! Yes, he really was nice. I liked him a lot." Imelda said, watching as Hecat brought him up to the front of the classroom for a demonstration. Sebastian was usually never a teacher's pet, but he was clearly Hecat's favorite.