Chapter 18

When Hazel woke up, she was confused on why she was surrounded by blue and light chatter, and violin softly playing somewhere rather than Imelda and Nerida's chatter and the loud slamming of doors, along with the familiar tune of the piano that Ominis played. She turned her head and looked around at the Ravenclaw common room.

Although the Ravenclaws were friendly, she didn't feel the same buzz or warm feeling in her chest like she did walking into the common room and seeing the 7th years attack the glass so the 1st years could see the giant squid or the way 10 people seemed to fit on one couch, piling over each other with laughs, a sea of green.

She never realized how much she took for granted that she had a place and people so familiar she called them home.

"Hazel?" Samantha's voice called, "I heard you- oh, you didn't have to sleep out here."

She turned her head to look at Samantha, "Amit let me in. I didn't want to wake you either. It was pretty late when I came in." She swung her legs down and sat on the couch normally, "Thanks for telling the Ravenclaws I can sleep here though."

Samantha fidgeted with her blazer, "Of course."

They were both quiet.

"We should hang out." Hazel said, smoothing her hair and getting up. Samantha nodded.

"Definitely."

Hazel glanced out the window and was unnerved to see how high she was above the ground. "I guess I should go. Snakes don't do well in the air."

"Eagles eat snakes, don't they?" Samantha said lightly. Hazel laughed.

"If they can catch them."

Samantha smiled as Hazel left. Hazel felt a little pang of loneliness again. What had happened between them? In her haste for the map, had she forgotten her friends?

She shook her head and tried to think. She sort of had a busy day. Imelda had demanded that the Quidditch team practice and Hazel wanted to go to Hogsmeade before Christmas day to get gifts for her friends.

Maybe she could try and talk with Imelda after practice. If she would even talk with her.

She went back to her room and quickly changed into her Quidditch uniform after glancing at a clock. It was later than she had expected.

When she arrived at the field, it was bustling with activity. Blue uniforms accompanied green. She went up to one of the other Slytherin girls.

"Are we playing Ravenclaw?" She asked, looking as Ravenclaws flew around, passing the quaffle effortlessly.

"Yup. Imelda's idea of practice. Just how I wanted to spend my morning." The girl muttered, adjusting her boot and getting on her broom.

Hazel hopped on her broom and got ready to play. It had been a while since she was on it.

"LISTEN UP!" Imelda shouted, cupping her hands. The entire field shut up immediately and lowered to the ground so they could hear. "Ravenclaw's captain-" She gestured to a 6th year Ravenclaw boy - "Hector Fawley - and I have decided that we're going to play until one of us wins today. So I suggest that we Slytherins wrap this up quickly!" She said, ending her 'pep talk.' And it worked, because the entire Slytherin team cheered. Hector rolled his eyes.

"And as Ravenclaws, let's outwit these snakes. Shouldn't be too hard." He grinned, ducking to avoid a bludger as Imelda released the four balls. The Ravenclaws cheered and that was that. The game began.

Hazel dodged bludgers and the arms of chasers as she zipped through the air, getting lost in the game. That is, until she was nearly knocked off her broom by the sudden appearance of Constance. A girl she had defeated in Crossed Wands over a year ago.