𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 ─ 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘬𝘪𝘮 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘺𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘭 )

𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐈𝐓, Christmas was around the corner, with only two weeks to go. 

And it was a yearly tradition for the Gilmores to host a Christmas party that invited almost everyone they knew to their humble abode to celebrate. Rory always found these sort of occassions awkward — most of these people she hardly knew.

Jolene Gilmore, however, was born for this role. She plastered the smile, made the small talk, laughed at the unfunny jokes, and climbed the social ladder. She had to work for her place in the world — it wasn't just handed to her on a platter. 

However, in that cloudy day, there were other things on her mind. Grayson was spending Christmas with his mom, Sookie, in another American state with family. Which meant Jolene couldn't give him his present on Christmas day.

So she was on her way to do it now, just missing the beginning of the party. Her mom wouldn't notice her absence for at least twenty minutes, meaning she had some time. 

Climbing the front porch of the Inn, Jolene cursed her frantic heart and sticky hands, a nervous pitter patter knocking on her ribs. It wasn't often Jo did things for other people, unless they were close friends or family — she mostly kept to her training, and school. 

But Jo couldn't get that moment in Grayson's car out of her head. She couldn't even fully concetrate on tennis, causing her to miss some otherwise extremely easy scores. Which frustrated her. And yet . . . she had never felt this way before. And it intrigued her. 

She didn't quite want to let go. 

Standing by the doorway of the Inn's kitchen, Jo rapped her knuckles on the wood, making the absent-minded Grayson glance up, do a double-take before straigthening his posture. "Jo! What are you doing here?"