chill chill chill

Recovery Girl was quite flabbergasted when her office door slammed open and a blonde teenager practically strutted inside. She was even more shocked when she noticed who it was. 

Bakugo Katsuki was staring her down from the doorway. After a couple seconds, he nodded to himself and sat down in the chair across from her desk. She hummed to herself, deciding to just go with the flow. “So, Mr. Bakugo, what brings you in toda--”

“Izuku is in one of the beds sleeping. Wanted to tell you that first.” He said, voice firm and eyes sharp. But his antsy body language told a story that juxtapozed his confidence. 

Not swayed by the rude teen, she continued. “And secondly?” Years of practice dealing with heroes and villains alike had numbed her to their ability to be blunt and rude. Currently she was unaffected by their snark. 

“He doesn’t want to be a hero anymore.” Bakugo blurted, this time unable to mask his distress. 

Recovery Girl opened her mouth as if to say something before closing it again and just letting Bakugo continue on his own time. And the teen did so a few seconds later. 

Eyes, wondering as if searching for answers around the room, Bakugo spoke up. “Something isn’t right. The nerd never stopped wanting to be a hero, but he’s been slacking. I thought something happened with Inko, but the Old Hag would have told me if that was the case.” He pursed his lips. “She wouldn’t have been able to shut up about it.” He commented absentmindedly. 

Recovery Girl shifted to where she was leaning back in her seat, arms crossed over her chest. Partially, she wanted to immediately take a look at Izuku and run a couple tests to see if anything changed or got worse. But her gut was telling her that she should stay and listen to Bakugo. 

She had noticed that both families seemed to be quite intertwined with each other. Izuku’s second emergency contact was Mitsuki whereas Katsuki’s third contact was Inko. So whatever Bakugo currently had to say about the situation could very well prove insightful. Not to mention the hypothesis her co-worker had hinted at the other day. She let the blonde teen think out his words. 

“He’s been bummed out of course, but never wanted to shut up about beng a hero. And now--” An almost indecipherable pause before Bakugo leaned forward, stiff as a board. “His eyes kept changing colors?”

This caused Recovery Girl to become mildly surprised at both the sudden topic shift as well as the personality change. “Color?” She asked to get the ball rolling again. 

“Hue.” Bakugo shrugged. “It was still green and all but it was different forms of green.” 

Recovery Girl felt her brows furrow. Bakugo’s legs tapped against the floor a couple times. 

“Has Midoriya..” She began before stopping and glancing at the notes she had taken from Inko earlier that week, sitting half off the desk yet weighted by a glass dome. She looked back at the teen to see his firm red eyes digging into her skull. “Has he been experiencing any other symptoms--oddities, perhaps?” 

A sharp inhale was heard. Another couple of taps. “He doesn't want to be a hero, hardly ever comes down in the common area--mostly either in his room or outside somewhere--”

“You haven’t seen him eating?” She asked. 

“He’s always been finicky with food. Never liked eating around people and never liked to eat much of anything. Sometimes he would take stuff up to his room but never ate at the table unless dragged down.” He commented, squinting his eyes. “He hasn’t healed well recently either.” 

Recovery girl asked what he meant, feeling as if she was both over and underwhelmed at all the information coming at her. “Pardon?” She asked, a million more questions running through her head all at once. 

“Sometimes he goes completely silent for days on end. And other times he has to repeat his actions or start over until he does something perfectly--” He said, red eyes blazing as he leans forward in his seat. 

“Bakug--”

“--he has this odd collection of keys that he finds from the middle of nowhere and keeps. I’ve seen his room and all his hero merchandise is gone--”

“Bakugo i think you need to slow dow--”

“He thinks he is poisoned.” Bakugo spoke with fierce finality, eyes narrowed at the nurse as if begging for a fight. Itching for opposition. Tell me I’m wrong. Tell me I’m lying. I dare you. 

Recovery Girl is stunned to silence, unable to formulate her own words anymore. It takes a few silent breaths before she can speak up once again. “Poisoned?” She infers. 

Nodding to himself, Bakugo looks pleased at the nurse’s concern and inability to push his words aside. “He mumbles about it,” he begins, pushing back in his chair, crossing his arms and crossing his legs on a smaller side table near his seat. “Thinks someone is poisoning his food. Doesn’t want to eat. Thinks someone is trapped and unable to be saved. Then he doesn't want to be a hero. He thinks we’re poisoned too.” He finishes, a grit in his throat as it lowers nearly sinisterly. 

The school nurse gulps, bile tasting so very acidic in her mouth, causing her to feel incredibly ill. With an ashen face and a cracked voice, she stands up. “Thank you, Bakugo.” She says, notioning the teen to stand up and leading him to the door. 

All that was replaying through her mind was his chilling words. 

He thinks someone is poisoning him. He thinks someone is poisoning us too.