Mates Over Dates

What I like about you, you hold me tight,
Tell me I'm the only one,
Wanna come over tonight, yeah.
Keep on whispering in my ear,
Tell me all the things that I wanna hear,
'Cause it's true (that's what I like)
That's what I like about you (that's what I like)

Once Regulus left, James waited a few minutes resting on the door, and finally headed out to his dormitory, it was early, the sun had barely dawned, the castle was silent, even the paintings were asleep. Not a soul could be heard, except James' shoes colliding against the cold stone, and the stairs changing lazily.

James trotted up the stairs to the Gryffindor dormitory and stood in front of the fat lady's portrait.

  "Gooselbumps," he whispered, and, with a huge yawn, she let him in.

  "Merlin!" he choked, seeing Lily Evans crouched over on a puffy armchair, next to her was a slender boy with hard features. Remus, his scars were glistering over his face.

She turned her head as soon as she heard him, so fiercely, James couldn't figure if she'd actually snapped her neck. The redhead stared at him with a slight blush for a few seconds, till Remus broke the ice.

  "Prongs, good morning," he greeted, barely looking up of his book, "we were going over Arithmancy, you can never study enough with the Owls coming up, right?"

  "Erm, right. What hour s'it?"

  "Around six, I reckon people'll start getting up soon."

  "Alright, I'll head upstairs then, see you lot in a minute," he awkwardly said, antsy to get away from Lily's infuriating gaze. He nodded to Remus for not bombarding him with questions, and headed off.

Without waiting for a response, he climbed up the stairs, and entered the dormitory, the smell of chocolate frogs and broomstick polish immediately sweltered him, he wobbly started walking around the room, till he ran into something firm, but fleshy. He turned around just to see Sirius' opal black hair remarking his diamond shaped face, he was staring at him menacingly, dressed up in his robes, but still sitting in his bed.

  "Sorry, Padfoot, I'll just go to the bathroom," he deferentially mumbled, but Sirius grabbed his sleeve when he tried to walk away.

  "No. We've gotta have a talk."

James chest filled with a disembodied thrill, he nodded. He sat on Sirius' side, their knees touching, he stayed silent for a few minutes, until their eyes finally met again.

  "You realize that you've hurt me. You betrayed my trust, and you deliberately broke our vow," he said with a hoarse voice.

  "Friends never lie to each other," James sighed, narrowing his eyes, bowing his head.

  "That's right. You lied to me, to us. The one person I thought I could trust with my life, deceived me about my own brother, do you know what that feels like?"

  "No, and I'm sorry, about everything."

Sirius took a deep breath.

  "You weren't wrong, about all of it," he mustered, James looked up at him with a slight head tilt, "I was vexed about the mark, I didn't see my brother, I saw... something evil. A reminder that this isn't even the start of the war. A reminder that people are dying...you know?"

He stared at James, his eyes were glassy, he was fidgeting with his slender fingers, rubbing his black nails.

  "What I'm trying to say..." he sighed, running his hands through his hair, "what I'm trying to say is that I didn't want to believe that Reg was one of them, but he is. And I chose to neglect him, even though I knew I could still help him. I deserted my own brother, and I can't forgive myself for it."