Chapter 3: Memories of a broken heart

content warning: This chapter has content that some readers may find disturbing or upsetting. 

58 years ago

Slowly, reality comes into focus. Looking around, it appears that this is some kind of laboratory. Everything is tinted green, and there is a barrier, meaning that this is some kind of container with green glass. There are machines and scientific equipment everywhere outside the container, as well as a man hunched over a computer. He turns. He is an old man with a bald head and a massive, bushy moustache. He wears a white lab coat with a name tag on the chest.
"Vitals are stable..." the man mutters, studying the computer. A few minutes pass, during which he taps keys on the computer and says things about 'Black Doom', 'DNA', and 'Ultimate Lifeform.' He straightens and walks over to the container, pressing a button on the side. The green glass retracts, giving access to the laboratory. "Hello. Can you hear me? Can you see me? Are your senses operational?" The man asks.
"It would appear so." This voice comes from nowhere and everywhere at once.
"That's good. Very good. I am Profe-" the man starts to say.
"Professor Gerald Robotnik, a scientist." The second voice interrupts. The professor looks remarkably surprised.
"How did you know that?" He questions.
"It's on your name tag." The voice says, making Robotnik look down at his chest.
"Oh, of course. Forgive me, I must have been too distracted..." Robotnik says. "Are you aware of who you are? Where we are? Your name? Your purpose? Anything?"
"Not at the current moment in time." The voice responds, sounding mildly curious.
"This is the Space Colony ARK. A space station, orbiting the planet Earth. You are the Ultimate Lifeform. I have created you to save my granddaughter, who suffers from a disease that, until now, was incurable. But I have discovered the secret to immortality! You are immortal, you are the cure!" Robotnik is getting visibly excited at the thought of finally being able to save his dying granddaughter, but is brought back to reality by a question from the second voice.
"But what is my name? What am I called?"
The professor considers, and a smile spreads across his face as an idea hits him. 
"You will be named after the project that created you. Welcome to life, Shadow."

Everything goes dark

Reality focuses again, and this time, the surroundings appear to be a bedroom of sorts. There is a big window, giving an incredible view of a massive blue-and-green sphere hanging in a huge, empty void. Inside the room, there is a bed, which is currently occupied by a young human girl sitting up, looking out of the window. As she looks at the sphere, her eyes become filled with tears.
"Maria? What's wrong?" The voice comes out of everywhere and nowwhere once again. The girl, Maria, wipes her eyes and sniffs.
"I'm sorry... its just that... i want to be there." She points at the sphere. "And i'm scared that I'll never be able. I'll never have the chance..." Out of the edge of what is visible, a hand appears, and it takes hold of Maria's hand.
"You will go there some day. I promise. Your grandfather has a plan that-"
"How do you know that it will work? His plans never work for me!"
"I've got a good feeling about this one. You'll see. Just trust me.
"You promise?" Maria moves closer.
"Yes. I promise." Maria grips the hand tighter as the voice speaks.
"It will be amazing." She smiles as she says this.
"Whatever it will be, we wil find out together."
"We will."

Once again, everything goes dark as reality fades.

Once everything comes back into focus for a third time, it becomes clear that this is one of the corridors that connects the many sectors of the Space Colony ARK. However, there is clearly something wrong, as the main lights are off, and everything is illuminated in an ominous red light from the warning alarms. In the background, many sounds can be heard, from sirens, alarms, shouting men, stomping feet and gunshots. Maria runs ahead, holding the hand that stretches from the edge of what is visible. "Hurry! We're almost there, Shadow!" Then she stops as the corridor opens into a large room with many vertical tubes.
"Quickly, Shadow! Get into one of the escape pods! I'll activate them, and I'll run into the one next to you!" Standing in the tube, it is clear that there isn't much time. The shouts and stomps get louder, as it sounds like there is a large group of men running towards the escape pod room.
"Come on, Maria! Just hit the button!" The voice says urgently. Maria presses a red button just as a human man turns the corner and enters the room. He is clearly a soldier of some sort, and he is carrying an assault rifle.
"Stop! Don't move or I'll shoot!" The soldier shouts. Maria tries to escape, diving towards the pod next to this one. There's a gunshot, Maria screams and falls to the floor.
"NO! MARIA! NO, NO, NO! MARIA!!!!!" The voice screams out as the glass door of the escape pod slides into place, leaving Maria there on the floor. This time, two hands come into view, one from each side. They bang on the glass door over and over again, but it stays completely intact, and refuses to break. The soldier has gone, as he knows that Maria can not possibly survive this.
"Please, Shadow... I need your help!" Maria drags herself over to the escape pod, even though every movement clearly causes her pain. A red stain is spreading across her chest, soaking into her blue dress.
"No... Maria... No..." The voice starts to sound like it's going to cry.
"Shadow... Please... Protect the world, for my sake. Give everyone a chance to be happy." The escape pod makes a hissing sound as it prepares to be jettisoned.
As the pod launches, reality starts to fade for the last time. With the last of her strength, Maria pulls herself close and speaks four words.
"Bring hope to humanity."

The pod launches, and everything vanishes.

Present day

Shadow's eyes snap open as he sits bolt upright. He is in total darkness, and for a moment, he does not know where he is. Then he looks down, and sees that he is in his bed. Breathing heavily, he closes his eyes as he gathers his thoughts, then he swings his legs sideways and sits on the side of his bed. To his surprise, he can feel tears forming in his eyes, and he quickly wipes them away. What was wrong with him? The Ultimate Lifeform doesn't cry... He stands up and stretches, not used to having a tired body. Being what he is, he doesn't get tired, normally. Nor does he cry. Those dreams... They were so realistic... It was almost like he was back on the ARK, talking to Maria... Oh, Maria... Shadow can still hear her scream, and her last words.

Doing his best to push these thoughts to the back of his mind, he walks over to the light switch on the wall. He flicks it, and he winces at the sudden light. He realises that he has a headache, and the bright light is not helping. His room is very plain, with minimal decoration. The only sign that anyone uses this room is the single picture of Maria on his bedside table. Other than this, there is nothing decorative in here. Shadow has always said that he has no time for distractions, not even in his own home. The bed is a simple but comfortable piece of furniture, and it's almost completely spotless, seeing as he hardly ever uses it. Turning back, he pushes open the door, and turns the light off. Shadow walks into the hallway, which, like the bedroom, is almost completely bare. He walks downstairs, and sits down on his couch, taking some time to think, focusing on the events of the previous day.
"I can hardly believe that Faker would do that to anyone. And Rose, of all people? Pfft. That blue fool really has no shame." Then, something comes to his mind. "Why do I care so much about that pink brat? She doesn't understand anything. What am I doing? I haven't felt like this since... Oh my god.. i haven't felt like this... since..." Shadow takes a deep breath.
"Since Maria."