Epilogue: Love in its winter

The group of friends celebrate their victory for a short time, talking about their different fighting techniques, why Eggman keeps doing what he does, and other topics like that. Then, one by one (sort of), they begin to leave.
"I am sorry, everyone. But me and Silver have left the kingdom ungoverned for far too long, and we must return." Blaze says.
"Yeah, she's right. We'll see you guys some time soon, alright?" Silver says, putting an arm around his wife.
"That's alright, you can go. Have fun, you two." Amy smiles as they walk away, until the fiery pillar roars into the sky. Knuckles fidgets.
"Yeah... I should go as well. I've left the Master Emerald unguarded for too much time, and i need to carry on with my duty as its guardian." Knuckles says a bit awkwardly. He clearly doesn't want to leave, but he knows his job.
"It's fine, Knux. You go do what you have to." Sonic says, waving to the echidna as he leaves.
"I gotta go too. There's some things I need to work on." Explains Tails.
"Hmph. Whatever." Shadow says, annoyed.
Tails leaves, and Amy is left with Sonic and Shadow.

"Hey, Amy... Can I talk to you for a sec?" Asks Sonic.
"Sure." She says
"Look... I know what I did to you on Angel Island. I know it was wrong, and I'm so, so sorry, Ames. But... I just..."
"Sonic... Eggman told me that he captured me because you have feelings for me."

"What? Eggman said that? Well... I guess he wasn't wrong." Sonic looks down. "But it's not an excuse for what I did. I've been horrible to you, Amy. I always have. But... it was because I loved you, and I was afraid to admit it." Amy's heart leaps as he says this, but not in the same way as it would have done a few weeks ago. She walks right up to him and puts a hand on his shoulder.
"Sonic, it's okay. I forgive you. I understand. But I don't think that we're meant for each other."
"... Okay. I get it. Thank you, Ames. I... I needed this." And it certainly appears that way; Sonic looks like a massive weight has been lifted off his shoulders. "But before I go, can I... Get a hug, maybe?" He spreads his arms hopefully.
Amy embraces him, holding him tightly. And he holds her.

"Thanks so much, Ames." They separate, and Sonic looks like a new person, his face glowing with new happiness. 
"I just have one more question, Sonic. How did you know that it wasn't Shadow?" Amy asks.
"When we spindashed at each other, Neo almost lost control of his disguise, I saw him for about a second." Sonic explains. Amy nods in understanding.
"I gotta bounce, now, but I'll see you around. You too, Shadow." Shadow, who had been standing to the side for this time, nods at Sonic, who runs off.

"I guess Faker isn't so bad after all." He says reluctantly.
"He never was." Amy knows that this is true, in her heart. She turns to Shadow. "Hey, Shadow, you know that week when you were replaced by Neo? I... I think we need to make up for lost time."

As she says this, it starts snowing again. The white flakes of ice settle in Amy's quills and Shadow's fur. He steps over to her and puts a hand on her arm.
"I think that you are right." He says with more warmth in his voice than ever before.

She kisses him, with a deep, caring passion.

"I guess this really was love in its winter."

                                  ~END~