Chapter 6: Blue with envy

To Amy, it's like her heart has exploded into fireworks inside her. The feeling that Shadow's kiss is giving her is unlike anything she has ever felt before. The sense of his lips pressing against hers... It makes her feel like she's in heaven. She pulls away, breathing heavily.
"Shadow..." She stares into his ruby-red eyes, which are honestly some of the prettiest things she has ever seen.
"Rose... Was that okay?" Shadow asks, slightly hesitantly. Amy laughs out loud.
"Okay?! Shadow, it was perfect. I loved it!" His face lights up as he hears her say this. "Really? You mean it?"
"Of course I mean it, Shadow. I've... I've never felt anything like that before." Amy gives Shadow what might be the warmest, most affectionate smile that has ever been given. She reaches up and gently takes his hand.
"Would you accept it I offered you another?" Shadow asks.
"Without a second's hesitation."
Without another word, Shadow leans closer and kisses Amy again.
This time, when they break the kiss, they embrace each other tightly. The hug expresses more than just their love for each other; it expresses how much they need each other's support, for Shadow, when he thinks about Maria, and for Amy, when she gets upset and angry about Sonic.

They separate, and they study each other's eyes for a few moments. One of Amy's front quills has fallen in front of her face.
"Rose... I love you so much." Shadow says as he gently brushes the quill out of Amy's face. Hearing him say those words fills her with an impossible amount of happiness and joy.
"I love you too, Shad." He smiles at her new nickname for him. She leans in this time, and plants a gentle kiss on his lips. And at this moment, the pair of them wouldn't have cared if this was being televised live to the Earth's entire population. Heck, they wouldn't have cared if the world suddenly was completely destroyed by an ancient celestial monster.

But maybe they could have been a little more wary of their surroundings before engaging in this act of pure, undoubtedly true love. Maybe they could have been a little more cautious about who was watching before starting this. Maybe they could have made sure that a certain blue hedgehog was at home doing anything other than watching them, rather than hiding behind a nearby tree, spying on them, and listening in on every sentence they speak. For this certain blue hedgehog is seething with fury, anger and jealousy at Amy and Shadow's public display of affection. And he is now completely determined to stop their relationship from developing, at all costs.

Amy and Shadow decide to take a walk together, to talk about how this is going to work out. They walk side by side through Park Avenue, one of the nicest parts of Sunrise City. They get some pretty strange looks as they walk while holding hands, seeing as this is one of Sonic the hedgehog's best friends with the edgiest anti-hero on the planet. But they don't particularly care, they are both perfectly happy as they are. They keep each other as close as they can while walking, neither of them willing to let the other one go. Amy is surprised at just how gentle Shadow can be, what with his reputation as a ruthless edgelord who won't ever let anyone get in his way. But, then again, when he cares about something as much as he cares about her right now, he can be passionate in more ways than one.

The, with a start, Amy remembers her friends. They will be worried about her, she doesn't think that Shadow told anyone that she is alright.
"Oh my gosh... Shadow, I am really, really sorry, but I need to go. My friends... They will be so worried right now." Amy tries her best to sound like she realy, really means it, which she does, but even so, Shadow's face falls, and he sighs in disappointment.
"I understand, Rose. I'll see  you later." His voice is filled with obvious sadness.
"Hey, Shadow... It's okay. I still do love you. I just can't let it stand in the way of my other friendships." Amy says, before gently kissing Shadow on the cheek.
"I'll see you tonight. Okay?" She says in a caring and affectionate voice. Shadow's expression softens.
"Okay, Rose. Tonight. Go see your friends." He smiles at her. She gives him one last soft kiss, before turning and running off to find her friends.