Chapter 2

Sirius

They were having a somewhat mediocre day in 12 Grimmauld Place when things started to go downhill. Harry had just broken out of the Dursley's house, and things had just started to look a little bit more upbeat, until...

Sirius was jolted out of his thoughts, startled, as Mad-Eye Moody suddenly tensed beside him, slamming his hands against the table, his electric blue eye swiveling furiously. Uh oh, Sirius thought, another disaster. He swore, these things happened to him so often, he was nearly going numb to these constant were-gonna-die-moments.

"The spell has gone off, someone's broken into 13 Grimmauld Place." He hissed. The worlds had an instant effect on everyone. Remus and Tonks, who were in the middle of a conversation, stopped talking, and everyone's face in the room paled. 

"Is it Death Eaters?" a young boy with jet black hair and emerald green eyes whispered.

"Probably." Sirius sat upright immediately, his boredom replaced by a jolt of fear for the young boy, his godson, Harry Potter. If it was Death Eaters, everyone in the house would be in grave danger, especially Harry. Ever since Voldemort had rose back to life during the events of the Triwizard Cup, people who had believed in Harry's story were once again living in constant fear. Many still remembered the terrifying era of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and to be the main target of Voldemort would basically mean signing a death warrant. 

"What do we do?"

"Who do you think it is?"

"We should send a party of skilled wizards and witches to confront him, or her. We can't risk someone exposing us." said Lupin. All nodded in agreement. 

"Moody should go," Molly Weasley piped up, "but who else should?" 

Sirius looked around the room. There was Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, of course, along with Arthur, Molly, and all the Weasleys other than Percy. Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Harry Potter, and Hermione Granger were present as well. He could see everyone looking around at each other as well, wondering who should face the possible enemy in the house right next to them.

"I want to go." Sirius' heart jumped as Harry stepped forward, eyes flashing defiantly.  

"If you're going, we're too." Hermione said, and Ron Weasley nodded in agreement beside her.

"Absolutely not." Molly snapped. "Anyone who could break in here should be extremely powerful, and you three are just children." Ron rolled his eyes, muttering curses Sirius only caught snippets of, but none of them objected, though Harry looked like he wanted to as he glared at the floor sullenly 

"I'll go," Remus said, stepping forward, "and Tonks should as well, since she's an auror."

"Any objections?" said Arthur, glancing around nervously, studying everyone's faces.

Sirius cleared his throat. "I want to go. I should go." He could be helpful, for once, and he was itching to get out of the dusty, jail-like place which he called "home". 

"No!" objected Molly, "For one, you could get caught, and-"

"I'm not a child, Molly." Sirius cut her of with a glare. "I can take care of myself. Plus, we're just popping in and out of the place next to us, and it's dark outside, no one should notice." 

"But-" before, she could say another word, Moody interrupted her.

"We have to go. Now. Before the suspect gets away. Sirius can come or stay." Without another word, he swept off, the hem of his robes brushing against the floor, and his peg leg thumping against wood. Shooting Molly a resentful look, Sirius followed, eager to finally get outside. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They entered a dark, small room. The other areas had been empty and abandoned, which left this place the only part of the house where the "Death Eater" could hide. The place looked deserted, and they couldn't spot anything out of place before... 

"Huh, huh, huh..." rattling breathing sounds came from the corner of the room. Sirius glanced over and gasped, doubling back. Concealed in the shadows and unconscious, was a boy sitting in the corner of the room, passed out. He had raven-black hair, a gaunt, pale face, with a too-skinny frame that nearly made Sirius' heart stop. His black aviator jacket was ripped at the shoulder, revealing a tattered t-shirt and a deep wound, with a long, bloody scar running along the side of his cheek. His breathing was labored, his chest barely moving, and in the dim lighting of the house, he looked like a corpse. 

"What happened?" Tonks gulped, observing the large pool of blood next to the mysterious stranger. "It looks like he was attacked by something." 

"It looks like the werewolf scars I got when I was small." Remus said quietly. Everyone looked at him, a bit shocked, except for Moody, who whipped out his wand and pointed it at the boy. 

"What are you doing?" asked Sirius, momentarily stunned. The boy being powerful enough to break in here... that was suspicious, but he could do no harm to anyone in this state. Looking at him, Sirius felt like he was looking at a younger version of himself, in the same condition as him when he was in Azkaban. 

"Things aren't always as they seem," Moody rasped, "in this case, this boy," he spat out the word boy, "may be hiding something. Accio, wand!"

Nothing happened. Moody tried again, flicking his wand in frustration.

"Accio, wand!"

Still nothing. Sirius could see his surprise mirrored in his companion's faces. This stranger, a 14 year boy, as the looks of him, had managed to break in a highly guarded place, without a wand? It was too disturbing and weird to be true.

"Incarcerous!" Moody barked, and ropes began to snake around the kid, half binding him before the ropes suddenly stopped, as if blocked by a kind of magic, inefficiently tying him up. 

"The spell.. it seemed to bounce off him.." Remus murmured, dazed. How? Sirius thought, there was no way it could be blocked like this... Then Tonks shook herself, snapping upright.

"Look, at him! He's basically dying! We have to help!" Moody looked like he was about to refuse, but noticed the rest of them glaring at him. As apprehensive as Sirius felt, it felt wrong not to help a child. Knowing there was no way they would just leave the kid there to die, Moody gave up, snarling angrily when leaving, while Sirius ran over and gently picked the boy up.

His skin felt cold, like all the warmth had been sucked out, and he radiated a feeling of darkness and death, which made Sirius feel uneasy and nauseous, but nevertheless, he slowly carried him back to 12 Grimmauld Place. 

Little did he know what would happen after that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how do you like it so far?

Feel free to leave any suggestions!

Once again, thank you so much for clicking into this story, I'm curious though, for those out there seeing this, how did you find this fan fiction?