Chapter 3

Nico

Nico was by the beach. He was walking along the coast, watching the waves crash against the rocky edge of a slope not far away. A few seagulls flew by, cawing as they flew by, but Nico didn't even look at them. He just kept staring at the ocean, for no apparent reason. The sun was setting over the horizon, and in the moon was beginning to reveal itself. As the sunlight got dimmer and dimmer, the moon began to look clearer... but it was more different than usual. Nico squinted at it. It was a blood moon, red as blood. 

"Nico!" A familiar voice suddenly sounded from the distance. Nico turned around slowly and saw Percy charging down toward him. 

"Percy?" Nico said, confused. What was he doing here? Then Nico frowned. What was he doing there? Nico had a vague memory of arriving at a dark place, but the thought faded as soon as he tried to grasp it. 

"Nico!" Percy screamed again."Where are you!" 

"I'm right here." Nico said, confused. 

"Where are you?!" 

"I'm right here, Percy. Geez, can't you see?" 

"You never showed......We've been searching every..... Will.......Dream message..... couldn't find....Where...Can't get through..." Nico's brow furrowed. Why was Percy dropping words? 

Suddenly a big wave loomed up behind Nico, and he barely had enough time to react before it crashed down on him. Strangely, Nico wasn't even wet. He was just tumbling around in the water, before the wave crashed down onto the ground, and suddenly, he was in an entirely new place. Camp Half-Blood. 

"Will said that he and Nico were supposed to go on a date together, at 8:00. Nico never showed up. Not even an Iris Message got through. Percy's trying a dream message right now." Annabeth was saying. 

"Are you sure he's missing? Zombie Boy's been known to wander off once in a while." Leo yawned. 

"Not since Will and him started dating." Annabeth insisted. "Will said all Nico was doing was to take a one hour break and go for a walk in Manhattan. He's been gone for too long."

"He could be taking a very long break." Leo suggested. Nico's heart dropped. Were his friends going to ditch him? Perhaps it had been a matter of time....?

A blond haired teen in the corner stood up. Will. He stormed forward, looking worried. 

"I went to the McDonalds in the city. Nico normally goes there to buy food, so I figured that was where he went. I ran into a dracaena. She took one look at me and said, 'Ah, another demigod. I missed one a few hours ago, but that's okay. I have another meal, right here.' Nico was probably the one she was talking about. The monster said he got away, but I'm guessing he used shadow travel."

"Well that's good right? He's safe." asked Piper. 

 "No!" Will shuddered. "His powers have been unstable ever since he transported the Athena Parthenos. We were lucky the last few times when we helped Apollo. The gods had wanted us to succeed then, so luck was sort-of on our side. But this time... I'm afraid he accidentally traveled somewhere. Somewhere dangerous. Dad confirmed it. He sent me a haiku about it." Everyone shuddered. 

"What did it say?" said Annabeth, grimacing.

Will took a deep breath, then recited it. 

"Nico's in danger,

caught by Hecate's followers,