CHAPTER 1

It's morning!... where did the time go I just closed my eyes a few minutes ago and now it's morning!A new day to continue that shitty work,but hey... at least it provides for me.

My name is Emily Wiara Mandi, twenty three years old,an orphan....My mother passed away after giving birth to me and my father died four years ago,life has been hard on me, like really hard.My father raised me like a princess,he taught me all the proper ways of a lady.According to him,my mother was the epitome of beauty and grace.

I managed to get a scholarship to see me through college, finished my architectural degree,came out jobless and desperate until my best friend,my only friend,my only family got me this job at a high end restaurant as a server.

The salary isn't that bad at least, but they could definitely do more considering the amount of humiliation I receive daily from those duchesses and noble ladies.Its as if when they are polite to someone they'll die.

Like yesterday, some ladies walked in and kindly as it is my duty,I greeted and asked for their preferences from the menu.They ordered and soon enough I served them,but according to them, the manner in which I served was not appropriate.Was I supposed to kneel while serving or what!one of them,I presumed their leader took the liberty of pouring ice cold water on me as if I didn't shower in the morning.

I don't know why people tend to pick on me,is it because of my colour?Oh! about that,my father was of African ancestry,so that explains my gorgeous melanin that I simply adore.This is a modern world,my skin colour shouldn't be a reason for discrimination.But who cares, I've been through so many things that I developed a thick skin.

It's morning... again! getting up from my bed is another work that should be accorded an hourly pay check.Am simply too tired but I need to move lest I want to be late.

My apartment......well ..... it's really fancy.A very small kitchen, small bathroom, one big open space that could fit one sofa,a bed and a small closet and that's it.....see how fancy it is.After a quick shower and a slice of toast for breakfast,am out.

Soon after, I arrive at my desired destination.Work has been exhausting this past week, the whole city is buzzling with activities for the upcoming masquerade ball on Friday.People are streaming in since this is considered the best restaurant in the city,so more money for the management and more work for us...the slaves.

I really couldn't care less about the ball, it's not like I'll even be attending it.

After a busy day,we finally close up.Kathy(my best friend)and I, agreed to meet at this Pizza place for our weekly gossip.

Kathy..... Kathy,is a very outgoing lady, like really outgoing.She parties,a fire cracker,blondie.... just a crazy girl.While me,am the quite, introvert one,I guess opposites do really attract.

"Hey beautiful,"she says as I approach her.Not to brag,but I'm really gorgeous,tall, melanin goddess,curvy, intelligent....you know...(I bragged just a little bit)

"Hey hottie,"

"How was your day,"she ask enthusiastically as if she doesn't know my answer.

"Like you need to ask.... AWFUL,"

She just laughs giving me one of those I have something to say but don't know how to looks.

"Spill it,"

"Am sure you've heard about the ball this Friday?"

"Yes?"I ask confused about where this conversation is going.

"Sooooooo....I got invations for the both of us!"she says hurriedly.

"What!how? when?why?"

"My friends friends cousin was able to sneak out two for us,"

"But... why would we even go there?if it's not royalty and nobilities attending, it's either the high class in society and we don't belong in any."

"I know but.... Look Emmy, both of us are graduate's with first class honours but look at us, you work at a restaurant where you're treated like a slave while I myself hop from one gig to the other.What am trying to say,we might land a good connection that'll will help us out, where else do you expect to mingle with these people."

She really does have a point,I could use a good connection to boost my income.But still it doesn't feel right,but can I ever say no to this woman...NO!

"Okay...but, the gowns,we can't just match in there with our cheap hoodies,"

"Don't worry about that,you just need to show up at my place... that's all,"

I don't know why I trust Kathy this much but I do, after all she's the only family I have,her parents practically adopted me after we met in college.She might be a year older but we're like twins,yin yang ☯️ kinda thing.

After three whole hours of gossiping,we finally part ways.Today's on a Tuesday,so we have two days to the D-DAY

___________________________

It's finally on Thursday and boy has Kathy been on my neck.

"Don't forget about the ball"

"Don't you dare bail out on me,else I'll die,"

Blablabla.... she's so dramatic but I still love her. Honestly speaking,I'm kinda excited about this whole thing,a gown,a ball room, fancy dances that my father made sure to train me into perfection, rich people(not that I really care about that)it is a nightmare and a dream at the same time.

I don't really want much in this life, just enough income to sustain me and my future family,a good man like my father cause he set the bar real high,kids running around the house....I want a home full of happiness, unity and peace.... that isn't too much, right?

I've desired motherly love since forever, though Kathy's mother tries to play the part,it still isn't enough.Ive only seen my mother on pictures and videos and my,do we resemble each other apart from our colour.

I want to be there for my children, to love them, to see them grow from tiny cupcakes to ..... grown ups.I don't want to leave them halfway in this thing called life.I want them to have a support system in each other, not like me an only child.I just want to be loved and love them too.

Emily

                Kathy

Kathy.