Chapter X: Vampire Hunting

Luke and Matthew searched through the massive list of items in between helping Dorian and Lilian bury the dead hunter, albeit it was a shallow grave; it was no more than a few feet deep.

The list of items was far more vast than either of the hunters had expected. While there were obvious weapons and armor, there were also other things like bundles of rope, empty vials, and even minor magical items.

However, nothing looked appealing. All the weapons were no better than the ones either had. Some of them had minor effects at the expense of damage. Such as a sword that, if held steadily in one's hand would begin to point northward. Or a gun that could shoot harmless sparkles without draining MP.

"Don't you think you should get armor? You were nearly killed by one hit to that thrall earlier." Luke noted as he gestured to Matthew's screen as he scrolled past several pieces of armor.

Matthew simply shook his head. "I don't need defense. We just need a way to slow the thrall down so we can get a few decisive hits off." He kept scrolling. "Plus heavy armor has never been my thing." He added.

What about that, Luke pointed to an item as Matthew hastily scrolled past, stopping just in time to see what he had been gesturing to.

Matthew clicked open the item's description. It was a dark blue coat with a brown belt wrapped around its waistband. Small patches of thick leather guarded its back and shoulders from damage.

===================================

[Mercenary's Garb]

[Rank: D-]

[Defense: +5]

[Description: A coat worn by many common mercenaries who had to keep light on their feet during work.]

[Equipment Bonus: +5 Agility]

===================================

Matthew scanned over the item. It was good for sure. While it didn't have as much defense as most of the other armors, it came with a stat bonus.

"Guess it's speed doesn't matter if you can catch up to the bitch." Luke muttered.

Matthew reached his hand forward slowly. His hand went through the screen, disappearing on the other end.

It was a familiar sensation with what he had felt when getting his first item reward. Suddenly, his hand was enclosed around a thick piece of cloth and leather. He pulled his arm back to himself. As his hand became visible once more, so too did the Mercenary's Garb.

Suddenly another screen appeared.

===================================

[Would you like to equip this item: Y/N]

===================================

Matthew gave his answer with a nod of his head and a mutter under his breath.

The coat disappeared in a dim burst of light and briefly appeared around Matthew before quickly fading away and becoming invisible.

Matthew and Luke exchanged glances.

"Did it work?" Luke asked.

Matthew quickly opened his status window.

===================================

[Name: Matthew Adams]

[Level: 4]

[Job: None]

[HP: 48/65]

[MP: 4/33]

[Available Status Points: 0]