eighteen

{1.08 | Maybe I Should Start from the End | part 4}

A sigh left Elara's lips as she leaned against the column. She hadn't gone far from the room, thankfully. It seemed her "possession" just needed to get some air.

There were patterns to it, she noticed. Whenever she transformed during the full moon, she lost control, and the memory was gone. Whenever her emotions took over, leading her to act, she lost control, and the memory was gone.

In her research, she learned that her emotions were affected by her curse, which was why she always felt the smallest bit angry. It made sense for the memory gaps to be from her curse as well. The wolf part of her took over, leaving her human side in the dark.

However, she hadn't seen anything related to wolves' losing memories because of their transformations. That part must've been exclusive to whatever she was.

She lifted her head at the sound of a car door opening. Her eyes followed it, and she lifted a brow when she noticed Seylah, climbing into a truck.

Elara pushed herself away from the column, approaching the vehicle, and she saw Seylah positioned under the wheel, pulling out a pair of wires. Hot wiring a car was something Elara had done before although she wasn't proud of it.

"Abandoning your kid, again?"

"You really are a pain, aren't you?" Seylah responded. She glanced back at Elara. "It's for the best. I can't give him the life the rest of you can."

"No, but you can still be present in it," Elara insisted. Her anger towards Landon had dissipated. Her jealousy was a problem, and she needed to fix it. "Don't you want to make up for all the years you were absent?"

Seylah shook her head, trying to jump the car to start, again. "I never saw myself as a mother, Elara."

"Yeah, clearly," Elara snarked. "You had a choice to keep Landon, and you gave him up. He could've had a mother." She heard footsteps behind her, and she recognized the clicking of heels. "Instead, you took that from him."

"You know, I didn't expect to ever see him, again, and I was okay with that. There were times throughout the years that I wondered how he was. If he had a good life." She took a deep breath, and Elara noticed the tears forming in her eyes. "Turns out he's a good person with a crappy life. He deserves better."

Elara understood what Seylah meant. She really did, so she decided to say nothing, taking a step backwards.

"Then help make it better," Hope said, appearing beside Elara.

"That's exactly what I'm doing," Seylah answered. She pushed the wires together one more time, causing the truck to roar to life.

"What you think you're doing for him doesn't matter," Hope declared. "All that he's gonna remember of you is that you abandoned him when he needed you the most."

Elara swallowed.

"No," Seylah said, reaching for something at her side, "he won't remember me, period. And neither will you."

Wait, she couldn't mean--

She didn't get a chance to think as she felt a sudden, searing pain in her neck. Her hand flew to the source, and her fingers wrapped around a dart. A tranquilizer dart. Elara fell to her knees, Hope falling shortly after.

The tri-brid fell unconscious quickly, landing on her side with her eyes closed. Elara propped herself on her hands and knees, gritting her teeth. The world was spinning. She felt queasy. She felt drowsy, and her ears rang, but the darkness never came.