thirty-nine

{2.02 | This Year Will Be Different | part two}

"What's the difference between an ogre and a troll? One is an onion and the other smells like one."

Landon groaned, dropping his head onto the table. "That has got to be one of the worst jokes I've ever heard."

"I don't think it even counts as one," Elara added.

The assembly ended an agonizing five minutes after Professor Vardeums gave Elara the medal, and the numerous people that stopped her afterwards with questions about fighting Malivore and what happened made her stay behind ten more minutes. She was lucky her class was only a few doors down.

"C'mon, it was clever!" Felix argued, leaning back in his chair. The three had found a spot in their first shared class of two. They sat towards the back, taking up two tables.

"No, it wasn't," Landon countered. He sat next to the vampire while Elara sat at the table behind them. Landon had offered to sit alone, but Elara insisted. Besides, she hadn't wanted to interrupt their debate on who was better: Tony Stark or Steve Rogers.

Personally, Elara was Team Natasha Romanoff.

"But you got it right away."

Elara propped her chin on her arms, looking between the two. "Because you forced us to watch all of the Shrek movies in one sitting. And the one about the cat in the hat."

"Puss in Boots," Landon corrected, earning a small glare from Elara. "Cat in the Hat is Dr. Seuss."

"Whatever. I can still feel my brain melting from how lame your joke was."

Their debate came to a halt when the teacher began her lecture. The class's focus was on the planets and their basic effects on Earth magic. While none of the trio were magic-users, they took it as an elective.

The class went on normally for about five minutes when the door creaked open. The teacher paused, glancing at the door, and a dark head of hair poked through it.

"I'm so sorry," Rosalind whispered, slipping into the classroom. Her backpack hung loosely on one shoulder.

"Ah, Miss Thorne," the instructor announced. "How wonderful of you to finally join us. Please, have a seat."

Rosalind smiled thinly and took a seat at the only empty seat– which happened to be the seat next to Elara.

"Hi," she greeted in a hushed voice as she dropped her bag onto the ground. Up front, the lesson continued. "Fancy seeing you here. This is Planetary Influence on Spellcraft, right?"

From in front of them, Felix and Landon were doing their best not to make it obvious that they were listening. Felix was succeeding while Landon looked like he was trying to set his notebook on fire with his mind.

"History of Dark Magic, actually," Elara answered, quietly tapping her pen on the table.

Rosalind's eyes widened in panic. "Really?"

"No," Elara deadpanned.

"Oh," she exhaled in relief. "Great, because I was afraid that I'd walked into the wrong class. Again."

Elara hummed, turning her attention back to the front, and her eyes caught Felix and Landon sharing a strange look. They were scheming, plotting maybe, and nothing good happened for Elara when they worked together. The last time the two put their heads together, Elara got shot with a crossbow. Again.