Chapter 24

I changed my mind. And it didn't take long for me to, either. The reality is, I need the extra work, and Jimmy practically dangled the opportunity in my face.

I'm on my way to meet Brooks – outside of Meadows, thank goodness. He invited me to come watch his soccer game, and I brought Veronica to tag along.

"I can't believe he asked you to wear his number," Veronica exclaims as she looks at the back of my jersey.

"It's not that big of a deal," I downplay the gesture and say, even though, I know it is.

Everyone in Wilmington knows that Brooks Caldwell doesn't do exclusivity. I mean, I've never seen Brooks with the same girl twice. So, the fact that he asked me to wear his jersey number is practically like a declaration that we're seeing each other.

"You're delusional, babe. It's a huge deal. Every girl in the bleachers is going to hate you. But fuck 'em."

"If I had a dollar for every fuck that I didn't give, I'd be a billionaire," I tell her.

"Ah, the feisty Remi Baker that I know and love is coming out today, ladies and gentleman," she chants. "You know? I think Brooks brings that side out of you."

"He doesn't bring that side out of me. I've always been feisty."

"What I mean is, lately, you've let that side cast in the shadows. I think that you spending time with him has allowed it to step back into the light."

I tilt my chin at her. "You're not going to get all deep on me now, are you?"

"Hey! There's nothing wrong with getting a little deep."

"It's not really my forte," I tell her.

"Right, right," she says, rolling her eyes at me. "I forgot about the metal shield that you like to wear."

I look at her, offended. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I love you, Rem, but you hate vulnerability."

"Yah. Who doesn't?"

She raises her hand in the air. "I mean, I don't have a problem with it."

"Neither do I," I state, but she bats her eyes at me. "I don't!"

"Remi, we might've just started working together, but I've known since high school. And I've never, not once, seen you cry."

"I cry plenty."

"Really?" she grabs ahold of her hips. "When was the last time you had a good cry?"

I find myself thinking about her question.

Crap, I'm drawing a blank.

"See!" she says, pointing at me when I fail to answer.

"What's your point?"

"My point is: BE VULNERABLE! Cry." She reaches for my shoulders and shakes them. "It's okay."

I sigh. "Got it. Be vulnerable. Cry. Can we go watch the game now?"

"Yes," she exhales. "We can go watch the game."

***

It's not hard to catch the nasty glares that the girls surrounding us throw my way. I get it. Brooks is a hot commodity around here, and they're always vying for his attention.

Me, I never wanted it. The pieces just fell how they were supposed to, and I'm not complaining.

I look at the field and spot Brooks in his uniform. Nico's also on the team but took this season off knowing that he was going to be traveling for most of the summer.

Brooks is the team captain, so he keeps huddling his teammates and reviewing the plays. I'm not the biggest sports fan, but I could watch Brooks play soccer all day and never get tired of it. He makes it look so easy, which I'm guessing is why he's able to score the winning shot.

A few of his teammates lift him in the air while the others grab the Gatorade cooler and dump the ice that's in it onto him.

I can't help but smile and laugh at all the fun they look like they're having.

Veronica and I descend the bleacher steps. "I'll let you do your thing," she says when we get to the fence. "See you tomorrow."

"Thanks for coming, Veronica," I tell her and she smiles before walking away.

Brooks is talking with his teammates, but he suddenly looks my way, a smile forming on his face.

"Boys, I'll gotta run," I hear him say as he keeps his eyes on me. They fist pump and then he hitches his duffle bag over his shoulder as he makes his way towards me.

"Good game," I smile when he meets my stance.

"Couldn't do it without my good-luck charm."

I skew my lips at him and his adorable comment. "Something tells me you would've scored that winning goal regardless."

"I don't know," he says, licking his bottom lip. "I felt extra motivated today. Guess you could say that I wanted to impress you."

"Well, consider me impressed."

His smile fades and then he looks at me with seriousness, dropping his duffle bag to the floor and gliding towards me. He places his hand behind my head and slowly brings my face closer to his, planting a kiss on my lips. The kiss is short, but slow, so it feels longer than it actually is. Though, no kiss with Brooks could be long enough. I think I'll always want more with him.

"Have dinner with me?" he asks after he pulls away, and it's that simple question alone that makes me realize I'd probably say yes to anything he wanted.

Shit, I'm in trouble.