Eyes

The trays of food are taken from them and they sit in silence. Tord and Tom sit at opposite ends of the cell, Tord as close to Paul and Pat while Tom was closer to the door. The other man was staring at the ground with his knees drawn up to his chest, eyes squinted as he sniffs and wipes at his nose. Tom turns his back to Tord, laying down on the blanket.

Tord just stares at him, unsure what to think.

Tom returned with no sign of injury aside from the hoarse voice which could indicate that the screams were his. He could've been psychologically tortured, it would've made sense for no signs of injury. But what exactly were they doing to Tom and when will they turn on him, Paul, and Pat?

The lights snap off with a sharp noise, plunging them into darkness.

Tord hates how Tom stays on his mind. How long has he been struggling with his eyes? Have they gotten worse while he was captive by Tord's own scientist? He had said the war ruined his chances of getting his eyes checked and for some reason, Tord felt kinda bad about that thought even though he should be happy that Tom of all people was suffering, he hated the brit after all.

Maybe he was sick.

There's no way he'd show any care for Tom of all people.

~

The lights come back on hours later, startling Tord awake and making him grumble in displeasure, shielding his eyes for a moment as they adjust. They were using his own methods against him, keeping him and the others hungry, thirsty, and exhausted while they did whatever they wanted to them.

Tord sits up, rubbing his eyes for a moment before looking over at Paul and Pat. He gets a simple head tilt in acknowledgment before he turns his eyes to Tom.

The other man had his eyes lidded but open, staring up at the ceiling. His breathing was slow and even where he lay. Tord watches curiously as Tom lifts his hand up, opening and closing his hand as he watches it.

"what are you doing Jehovah?" Tord questions as Tom continues his weird actions. Tom drops his arm and turns his head to look at Tord for a moment, staring at him silently before looking back up at the ceiling. He had a strange expression on his face, a grimace almost. Tord scoffs and looks over to Paul and Pat who shrug at him.

The light cycle progresses for what must be two more days but who knows, they could be purposefully making them think days have passed more than what actually passed. He wouldn't put it past them, it would just be another method of torture. With each light cycle that passes, Tords stomach cramps more and more, his mouth dry as cotton and his teeth feel like chalk. How much longer until they give them water again?

Tom stays silent the entire time, doing the same staring-at-his-hand multiple times during the day. Tord calls over to Paul and Pat when nothing he says gets a rise out of Tom.

The red light of the camera is driving him insane but he can't do anything about it, for now at least.

~

When the lights come on tord keeps his eyes closed for a moment longer, pushing himself up and letting them adjust to the light. When he opens he still squints for a moment, looking over to Paul and Pat to see if they also woke up.

He jolts slightly at the sound of a door, footsteps echoing into the hallway and towards them. The person who comes in is carrying two gallons of water just like the first day of their captivity, one hooked on each hand, and is flanked by two other guards. The second has the other two gallons for Paul and Pat, while the third is armed with the cattle prod.

"Against the wall." The first one commands, stopping in front of their cell door. Tom is sluggish to get up, stumbling to his feet before he's pressing his back to the wall to do as they say. Tord is quick to copy, not wanting to risk going another week without water, not when his mouth felt the way it did, not when his stomach cramped with hunger pains.