Terminal

Tick. Tock.

...

Tick. Tock.

...

Tick. Tock.

"That sound... So obnoxious..." A bald teenage boy in a black t-shirt and jeans sat in a hospital room staring at a ticking clock. A table with flowers, a plate of food, a glass of water, and a comic book rested at his bedside. "THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN" was entitled to the book.

On the opposing side of the bed ware a vital sign monitor with wires attached to the teen's stomach, a pair of slippers, and a table with a terrarium containing two spiders and a blue jean jacket on top of it. A tarantula and black house spider were crawling along the walls.

He looked around the room and put his hand on his chest to feel his heartbeat. It was slowing each day. His time was nearing soon. That sound was more worrisome than a clock but it was ever so soothing to feel. The sound of his heart made him feel at peace

"Mr. Faible?"

His sense of peace immediately shattered. The instant his surname was heard, he slowly turned his head to a doorway in his "room". If anything, it was a tomb for his withering body. It was a joke to even allow someone who would die at any moment to be here.

He wanted to rest he wanted to try and allow himself to rest into the sound of his slowing heartbeat but the same name kept sounding from the door. The same name was like fingernails scratching across a chalkboard. He had to allow the monster making this sound access.

"Come In." The teenager said. The person on the other side of the door twisted the handle as the creak of the door opening followed. The woman walked towards her. Each step was as if someone was stabbing the teenager. Each stab went deeper and deeper into his chest.

She was finally at his bedside staring at him with her piercing eyes. "The gall... Staring down at me because I'm dying... How dare you?" The nurse hadn't said anything yet but he could feel it within the pools of color in her eyes. They were filled with pity and disgust.

"Mr. Faible-" "Just say my first name." The teenager snapped back instantly. He hated his last name. "Faible". It was a double-edged sword to him. They called him a Fable. A child's tale. A story that people would just forget. A joke. The second meaning was in French. "Weak". Calling him a weakness. The Cancer with Cancer. How disgusting.

"Y/n, your parents want to take you on a trip today. It's a tour through that lab you wanted- want to work at." the nurse caught herself but the teenager, Y/n, was totally and utterly fuming. He wanted to grip this woman's neck and end her. He knew he could've done so as well. These were his last moments alive. Might as well make the most of it.

"They're outside I assume?" Y/n asked with a deadpan. He might've looked like he got over the fact she said he had no chance of survival but he was contemplating what he'd do to her when he came back from this trip. "They're in the lobby . They are ready to take you to Alchemex." The nurse assured him, trying to feign ignorance of her earlier statement.

Y/n took a deep breath and sat up from his bed. He was shaking as he tried to stand up. "Sir! I'll get your wheelchair!" The nurse was about to leave the room but Y/n stopped her by putting his hand on her shoulder. "Fuck the damn wheelchair," Y/n said with determination and pride. "I don't need it." It almost looked like Y/n was smiling. He wasn't. Not yet.

He slowly walked towards the jacket and pair of slippers near his bed and put them on. He then moved towards his spider terrarium and opened the lid on top of it. He proceeded to hold his hand into the open terrarium. The spiders immediately sprawled towards his hands and made it to his left shoulder. He smiled at the sight. "I missed you guys too," Y/n said to the spiders. It felt like everything was peaceful.

Then he remembered why he stood up in the first place.

He closed the lid of the tank and walked towards the nurse. "You're taking spiders with you?" The nurse said, weirded out by the fact. "Their names are Itsy and Bitsy. And yes. I am." Y/n rolled his eyes and walked through the door that'd led him outside his room. He had an idea where they'd be. The nurse came out of the room after him, trying to help and guide him on where to go.

They walked until they reached an elevator. The nurse pressed the button for it to come to where they were. The moment it opened, they both entered. Once they were inside, Y/n pressed the button to the first floor. The elevator began to close and the two were standing there in silence. A perfect serene silence. The nurse was the one who shattered it.

"I apologize for my earlier statement. It was a mistake." The nurse said. The black house spider on his shoulder, Bitsy, almost jumped from his shoulder to bite the woman for him. Y/n blocked it from doing so. He didn't want his spider to be killed. "Sure. I accept your apology." Y/n said with a hint of anger.

The elevator finally halted and opened to reveal a lobby. The first thing Y/n noticed was his parents sitting in one of the many chairs in the lobby. He sighed a breath of disappointment before walking towards them. His walking speed improved from that point. It could've been he was somehow happy to see his parents. At the same time, perhaps he wanted to get things over with.

While he walked towards them, his mother noticed him inching closer. "Y/n!" His mother started getting out of her chair and ran to hug him. Y/n dodged that hug with relative ease. He would've accepted it but he didn't want to run the risk of his spiders dying. His mother almost fell but managed to stay on her own two feet.

His "father" got out of his seat to make sure his mother was ok. They both seemed upset before Y/n pointed to the spiders on his shoulder. "Oh. You took your spiders with you?" His "father" asked. "They go where I go," Y/n said bluntly. His "father" sighed before walking away to the front door. His mother followed suit.

"They didn't even try to confirm I knew what was going on. They just moved on as if this was a chore." Y/n thought. To him, this was just a show of what could've been. Shattered dreams of an already broken man.

————————————

Decided to go back to my roots with this writing style. I feel more expressive with it.