4- Regrets

Sebastian was drying his hair as she watched. 

When he undressed she could see how much weight he had lost, he wasn't skinny by all means, but he had grown muscles in place of his where his body used to be soft. His hair had grown a bit, his natural waves going every direction when the took the towel off of his head and some sticking to his forehead. She giggled as he slipped into one of his old sweaters. She kept them handy just in case.

"What's so funny?" He asked confused.

She walked closer and brushed away some of the hair that was stuck to his forehead, clearing out his eyes and staring into them again.

"This feels like a dream. Are you really back?"

Sebastian grabbed her hand gently and planted a soft kiss onto her wrist. He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

"Yes...Yes I'm back. I'm not going anywhere again. I...I want to stay, if you'll have me."

She grabbed the sides of his face and pulled him to her, they pressed their foreheads together in a silent agreement. A silent promise.

Anne stirred under the blankets and rolled over, Sebastian turned his head to look at her wide eyed before softly walking to her bed.

He sat down gently on the edge to not disturb her, but he used his fingertips to brush some hair behind her ear.

"She's so beautiful...just like her mother."

MC smiled as she watched - he did not see how much Anne looked like him.

"I've missed so much...I'm sorry...but I'm here now." He whispered to her.

MC's face fell a little, Sebastian saw this when he looked over and grew concerned.

"What is it?"

"....How will we tell her?"

"What do you mean?"

MC crosses her arms but still quiet as she spoke.

"She lives the first years of her life without a father....then 'kindred spirit' arrives and suddenly he's her father? You can see how that might confuse her. She will have a lot of questions."

"...And? I will answer them." Sebastian answered as he carefully stood up from the edge of the bed.

"It makes no sense to not tell her, I am here now, and I do not intend to leave...she should know the truth right away."

"What truth? That her father left before she was born to pursue a life of a vigilante? How would that make her feel?"

Sebastian flinched, he felt a pang of guilt in his chest. MC sighed and had an apologetic look on her face.

"I...I didn't know about her when I left."

"Neither did I, but I could not tell you, because you were not here. So...it was me you left."

MC turned around trying to control her tears. She heard Sebastian approach from behind, he stood for a moment, as if he was debating something. A moment later he wrapped his arms around and held her. She could feel his heart beating when he pressed his chest against her back.

"I'm sorry...." He whispered. "It was selfish...it was foolish....it was the worst mistake I've ever made...I know I have a lot of things to fix. I know I have a lot to catch up on. Please...please forgive me. Let me make it up to you."

MC took a deep breath before turning to face him, tucking her head beneath his chin and breathing in his scent. It was so long since she had this scent in front of her.

They stood and held each other in silence, the rain continued to patter onto the windows, and Anne kept her eyes closed as she considered their conversation.