02

Thousands of eyes trained on him as he spoke of contraceptions. How to use them and the good and bad ones. The ones they should avoid using and the one that are safe. How dangerous VVF could be and the best thing to do for their young age was to give pregnancy and childbirth some time before they started. The supervisor had told him to speak in a way they'd understand and while he did that, make sure it was easier remember because over 50% of these girls could be married before the year ran out.

Thousands of eyes trained on him. Some with admiration, some with acute curiosity of what he was saying and those eyes were the only ones he couldn't get off his skin. He was used to being looked at. Wait, no. Ogled at and that had never made him nervous. And even though he wasn't nervous now, he was aware of her eyes and something had stopped him from looking over to her direction.

When he was done, he inquired if any of them had a question and a few of the girls asked him. Some didn't even fully understood what he spoke about from the way they were asking the questions, he figured it was just their way of having a chance to speak to him. Nonetheless, he answered them and the event round up.

He watched as they began getting out of the classroom and back to their classes and when his eyes roamed through the girls walking out, searching for a certain pair of silver eyes, Nameer didn't know why he felt disappointed when he didn't see her.

"Dr Kurfi!" Mukhtar called him from a distance and that was what caught his attention and forced him to take his eyes off the girls.

"Mukky, only lord knows how much I've suffered today. The name of this village still couldn't stay in my brain." Mukhtar was that kind of friend that you didn't plan on having yet once you do, you could never get rid of him. He was just so awesome and funny that staying with him had always done wonders to Nameer.

"If only those girls could speak to you, can you see how they nearly ate you off while you were speaking? The nerves of these girls." He chuckled as he pointed at one of the girls that still wasn't able to get out of the class with her two friends watching him, giggling softly while she stared at Nameer without a single shame on earth.

"Just take a look at that girl. Should I go woo her for you?" He jested and Nameer smiled softly before he aimed at the door.

"You can't be serious, Mukhtar. These girls are barely 14 to 15 years of age..." But before he could finish what he was saying, Mukhtar had stopped him in his tracks.

"What? You have no idea the throng of suitors these girls have, Nameer. They're mostly going to get married once they're done with their exams, JSCE acquired and these girls are the hotcakes of this village, sune yan boko." They laughed at the same time, how funny and pitiful that was. Do they think that acquiring just junior secondary certificate could certify one being a hotcake? Was that all about education to them?

As they walked to where he parked his car, Nameer turned to ask Mukhtar. Who seemed to him that he was more familiar with the way these villages worked. "Is it that they don't want to go any further or because they don't know there was more to education than just JSSCE?"

Mukhtar shrugged his shoulders as they sat in the car and he swung the windows down, because the air was so chill and windy that he couldn't miss it. They were waiting for the line to subside, for them to get their CDS cards signed by the supervisor and right now, they couldn't go into that throng of people. They always waited until almost everyone left.

"I really won't believe that there is someone in school that possibly didn't know that there was more to education than their current level. You see, a fraction of these girls were forced to study by their parents or mostly older siblings, they don't really see it as a thing they needed in life and this is where they draw the line. Most of these girls even go to the length of starting to mess around with boys so that their parents will know that that's what they actually want for themselves and not books."