Pαɾƚ IX

"How can you talk about betrayal? You ordered your own general to be executed for following orders, and, more importantly, loving me!"

"She was committing treason, just as you are now. Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the benefit of the kingdom. So says the Regent who got her daughter killed in a failed attempt to assassinate me," Alvric said, wrestling free of her grip, backing a few feet away.

The tension was palpable as the two opposing parties eyeballed each other intensely, each thinking of a comeback. The audience watched in awe, unable to predict who would win the bout. But Alvric couldn't win against someone with nothing to lose; he couldn't win, not against her.

So Mauvin did the only thing she could, seizing her knife to settle this argument once and for all. When it came to twisting words, they were equals. But with the twist of the knife, Mauvin was superior.

As the weapon ripped through his abdomen, Alvric stuttered, "Unsteady is the head the wears the crown, Mother-in-law." Crimson blood spurted from his body, light fleeting from his eyes.

Mauvin shirked back, her pupils flying wide. "I... what did you just say?"

"Your daughter..." Nevertheless, he couldn't finish, and he exhaled his final breath.

Even in death, Alvric caused her pain. My daughter what? What did she do? No, its probably nonsense, he's just trying to egg me on, to distract me from my goal. They're both dead, anyways.

My time has come, Mauvin thought as filmy, butterfly-like wing tips protruded from her once-smooth ears and fluttered, once, twice, before falling still.

The transition of power was complete.

She turned to face her audience. "Fellow citizens of Lasavria, as you can see, I was victorious! I triumphed against countless obstacles, and lost some that I loved along the way," she paused, raising her fist in the air. "But none of that matters now. Now, I can rule Lasavria unhindered, now there will be no nobles, there will be no peasants. I will show us true equality." Mauvin breathed heavily, her grin feral.

"And everyone that stands in my way will be crushed."

~Fin~