Pαɾƚ IV

Mauvin rushed to the Crown Prince's quarters, preparing to confront him. He was behind on his part of the coronation planning, and she would stand for it no longer.

She was blocked by a guard at the door. "Madame Regent, the Crown Prince doesn't want to be disturbed at the moment—"

"I must see him immediately."

"Sorry, Madame. He explicitly expressed that no one was to enter his chambers without his permission." The guardsman was shaking.

Is my appearance that alarming? No—that doesn't matter right now. I need to get in this room!

"I don't care," the Regent hissed, flinging the carved wooden door open.

She stared in shock as she saw her daughter entwined in a passionate kiss with the boy Mauvin despised most of all. His flawless hands were caressing her daughter's beautiful body while her fingers were caught in his greasy, unkept locks. Her arm barely shrouded her unlaced dress, her satin chemise peeking out from underneath.

Startled, the pair swerved to look at the Regent, Belladonna in particular turning a flustered crimson. She turned away from her mother, ashamed, her chestnut hair obscuring her face.

"You bastard," Mauvin snarled at the shirtless prince. "How dare you seduce my daughter and make it look like she's some common harlot?"

The prince just smiled, wickedly running his hand through this slick black hair as if it was a commonplace event. "Why? I don't see a problem." He turned towards Belladonna, dragging a lone finger up her neck, causing her to tilt her head upward as she gasped into his ear. "She already is my little harlot. Isn't that right, Bella?" he lowered his voice, whispering her name for only her to hear.

As if he had already won not just the battle, but the war by capturing Belladonna's heart, among other things. The Regent's face twitched.

Mauvin wanted to carve oh-so-many scars into his perfect flesh. To mar that smug expression, to watch him scream before she plunged the knife into his heart.

It would be his only mercy for what he had done to her Belladonna.

The Regent tried to reason with her daughter, vying for an explanation of the events that she just witnessed.

"Belladonna, I thought you were devoted to Matias. Did he really mean that little to you? I thought you were getting married!"

Even Alvric was confused, and his grin subsided. "Matias? Bella, darling, whoever are you referring to?"

I don't know if I liked him calling her a whore more or less than 'darling'. Mauvin shuddered.

"Mother," Belladonna started, visibly trembling under both her mother's and Alvric's keen eyes. "Alvric is Matias. Matias never existed, there was only Alvric in my eyes. I knew how much you disliked him, so I told you his story under a different name."