¹³ | LONELY HEARTS CLUB

.13

THATCHER WIPED sweat from his forehead, looking over the huge scoreboard. The match against Team Eeltail had just ended, and Team Jellyfin—his team—had won.

"That was a tough match..." Fonsie mumbled, unzipping his jacket with a loud sigh. As a front liner, he had to move around a lot.

"I guess so." Major shrugged, lifting up his dynamo to set on his shoulder. Major, on the other hand, hadn't even broken a sweat. His chest rose and fell slowly as he took in deep, evened breaths.

"You 'guess so'? Major, you weren't splatted once!" The octoling shot back with laughter in his voice. Dune watched from afar, smiling.

Thatcher knew Dune liked Fonsie. Occasionally, when it was late at night and she was frustrated with something, she would come over to him and vent her heart out.

He didn't mind.

Not at all.

..

...

Suddenly, a hand slapped the flat of his back and Thatched jumped, startled. He quickly turned, only to see Vincent with his arms crossed and a smile crawling up his face.

Thatcher dropped his angered look and replaced it with a more flustered one. His cheeks warmed as he nervously waved.

"Good game," Vincent's smile widened. He took a few steps towards Thatcher until he was directly beside him, then he put and arm over his shoulder. "You were pretty cool out there. Definitely X-Rank material."

"Ya think so?" Thatcher looked to him, the compliment making him blush more than he already was. He turned his gaze towards his teammates, watching as they smiled and laughed together.

The light blue inkling took his hand in his, entwining their fingers together. "Mhm..." He hummed, not taking his eyes off of Thatcher.

Thatcher stared back, unable to look away.

He wanted to stay like that forever.

but then he was tied to a chair, bloodied and bruised, wondering why Vincent was doing the things he was doing to him and his friends. He had cut Thatcher's arms, broke his nose, basically beat him to a pulp.

He remembered watching Vincent point a dualie at his face, a sadistic smirk on his own.

Why would the one person he loved betray him?

It didn't make any sense...

they loved each other.

"You're quite the monster, Ender."

"Trust me, I've heard that enough to know; but your friends think you're dead and that's all that matters. As long as Fonsie is weakened when he battles me, I have a chance at winning." Ender smirked. "Thatcher, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet." He slammed the door, making the inkling flinch.

Thatcher sniffed, leaning back against the small closet's wall.

Before he was kidnapped, an inkling had given him an injection. He didn't think much about it, but he didn't know it would hurt his friends more this way.

The needle held the special serum to Ender's home-made spawn point. He floated around as a ghost/squid for a while, until he was eventually pulled into the spawn point.

When he respawned, he had no idea what was going on. But when Ender explained everything just then, he was shocked that he was taken advantage of.

Again.