4. Coffee

With a final puff of her perfume, Debby told herself she didn't put in extra effort to look good today and even if she did, it was to feel confident... Not because of anyone.

On getting to the office, Julie gushed about Debbie's orange suit and how she would like to get a pair while they sipped their cups of coffee. Declan and Jordan were chatting as well when they heard someone clear her throat.

"Good morning." Miss Gonzales greeted unpleasantly, earning muffled greetings in reply. "I was hoping I wouldn't have to tell you but having good, professional, relationships with people here would go a long way to help you. I didn't have to tell the last set of interns to get Mr. Scotch and I coffee," she sniffled. "They even got other workers coffee." She finished, looking at them expectantly before huffing. "Can someone get Mr Scotch a coffee?"

"I can." Jordan volunteered before dashing out of the office. Hesitating for only a second, Miss Gonzales traipsed away.

A few minutes later, Jordan walked back into the office before plopping on his chair.

"Someone's looking to score points." Julie teased as Jordan waved her off with a laugh. "What did you get him?"

"Black coffee with a bit of sugar. Figured that's what he'd like." Jordan shrugged as he turned his laptop on.

"Fair enough," Julie replied before focusing on her screen.

Debby on the other hand was uneasy. If her memory served her right, that was exactly what Damon did not like. It shouldn't have bothered her but it did and the fact that he didn't scold Jordan made her think he was decent enough to have good coffee.

After a few minutes of trying– and failing– to shake off her concern, she headed straight to the break room and brewed a cup of latte before heading to Damon's office.

She took in a deep breath and walked in after knocking. He was hunched over a sketch, his hair dishevelled like he had run his hand through it so many times. He watched her quietly as she approached him and placed the cup on his table.

She glanced at the cup at the far end of the table and guessed it was the one Jordan had made. "Good morning." She greeted, breaking the silence as she watched him stare at the cup.

"Good morning." He finally replied before picking it up and taking a sip. Closing his eyes, he stifled a groan of contentment but Debby didn't miss the pleasure in his expression. She knew she should leave but instead, she looked at the sketch on his table and drew nearer– it was the same one from yesterday.

"Are you missing something?" She asked as he continued sipping his coffee.

"I'm not sure but it feels like it." He admitted as she traced the sketch. Peering closely at it, she tried to be objective and find out the possible loopholes.

While Debby stared at the print, Damon stared at her; wondering how she might have gotten even more beautiful over the years. The outfit she had on, didn't help matters as it accentuated her fair skin and how much she had grown. Her kind gesture and the fact that she remembered his favourite coffee? It was going to be his undoing if it went on.

"I think I've figured some things out." She started, breaking his line of thoughts before making suggestions Damon took mental note of while she gesticulated. "Does that help?" She asked when she finished, looking at him.

Trying to find his voice, Damon nodded before saying, "Thank you– for the coffee too."

"You're welcome., Debby replied with a small smile. "I should go." She hesitated before walking towards the door.

"We'll be leaving by 1noon to the construction site. Let Mr. Alleys know."

"I will., Debby replied before closing the door behind her.

Damon plopped on his chair as he stared at the sketch with a different view. Perhaps instead of focusing on the benefits of pushing her away, he could focus on her talents and bringing them to the limelight. Debby Amore was good; he had often told her that back in college but apparently even he didn't know just how good she was. The thought of her becoming better fuelled his drive and he was determined to help with that.

~~~~~

Jordan helped Debby climb the stairs– or what was becoming the stairs– while Damon walked in front of them. Debby had to shake off the desire to be helped by Damon instead as she knew it was a stupid thought. She had swapped her heels for flats, yet the unleveled ground proved difficult to walk on.

"This is where the fireplace would be built." The guide continued explaining like he had done downstairs. From time to time, Damon interrupted him with questions and he replied reassuringly.

"What do you think of the position of the fireplace?" Damon asked offhandedly, looking at Debby and Jordan.

"I think it's perfect sir." Jordan piped up to which Damon nodded before looking at Debby.

"I think it's good but there are other places where it could be positioned."

"Can you show me where?" Damon asked, studying her intently as she nodded.

"There," she pointed at the far end of the opposite wall before walking closer to where the guide and Damon stood to point out another location. She hadn't taken three steps when she felt a twist in her ankle. Letting out a squeal, she almost fell but was caught by Damon.

"Be careful." He whispered, his arm firmly around her waist as she placed her palm on his chest. At a loss for words, she stared at him as he searched her face, the concern in his eyes making her heart race. "Is your ankle alright?" He asked as she snapped out of her trance, remembering they weren't alone.

Rotating her ankle, she sighed noting that no damage was done. "It's alright, thank you." She whispered as he nodded and withdrew his arm. Stepping away from him, she was determined not to look at Jordan for fear of what he might think of the brief exchange.

"We should go to the next floor." Damon continued, climbing the next flight of stairs like nothing happened while Debby still felt the pressure of his arm around her waist.