Chapter 20 - Happy ones

A/N - thank you so much for 50k reads!

3 days later...

Rosie's POV:

"Wow, you're fast". I smiled towards my brunette friend while rubbing sweat off my glistening forehead. He shrugged his shoulders, "I wasn't always the most technical so I used my agility and physicality to my strength". Chucking my water bottle up to me, I thanked him and gladly emptied it down my dry throat. The sun was beating down on the astroturf we were doing sprints on, making it even more intense. I had a proper training session with the team later but I wanted to get out early and make a head start.

 Matías began laughing softly to himself. I raised an eyebrow at him and he explained, "I just can't believe that you're pro...I'm glad you haven't changed though. I was a little concerned you would get big-headed and think you were better than me". I rolled my eyes at him, "I would never do that, but just so you know, I am better than you. In more ways than one". It was his turn to roll his eyes, "Whatever, how are you keeping up with them anyway?". I shrugged my shoulders, "It's hard but I haven't fallen behind...yet". He joked, "Is that why you needed the extra training this morning?". Shaking my head, I tightened my pony tail once more, "I just wanted to get a head start and be warmed up before the session". I held out a hand for him to grab, which he did, and pulled him into a standing position. He questioned, "10 more minutes of sprints and then we can go get a drink somewhere, my treat". Grinning at him, I set off running once more. 

We decided to go to the cafe inside Barcelona's training centre. It was fairly empty, only filled with a few players and physios and other people who worked in the buildings. Due to my very very bad Spanish (in which I can only say a few words), Matías ordered me a latte. Normally, I wouldn't have a coffee right before training, but I needed all the energy I could get. After the sprints, I felt great - endorphins running wild around my body. But when it kicked in that I had a 3 hour training session in the scorching heat very soon, I felt quite drained.  

Matías walked over to the table I had chosen, his eyes intensely focused on the tray of drinks he was carrying. He placed mine in front of him before also taking his smoothie off the tray and sitting down in the empty seat. I nodded a thanks to him and gratefully took a long drink from the white coffee mug. 

We both sat in comfortable silence, both enjoying our reward after running for nearly two hours. He broke the quietness by asking, "You got any plans for the rest of the day after training?". I grinned, remembering the activity Mapi had planned for the whole team, "I'm going to the beach with the team. You?". He scrunched his face up, "Eating, sleeping and watching the Man City game". I nodded my head, "Oh yeah I saw that was on". He questioned, "You used to play for Man City didn't you?". Sighing, I nodded my head and he continued to talk, "Did you see much of the men's team?". I replied, "Sometimes their training would be on the same time as ours so I'd bump into them occasionally. My mums were friends with quite a few of them I think". He raised his eyebrows, "That's just crazy, imagine Erling Haaland, Kevin De Bruyne, Lucy Bronze and Keira Walsh just all casually having dinner together". I laughed, "I don't think they were that close but they would sometimes go for coffee with eachother".

We passeed light conversation between us, mainly catching eachother up on what had gone on while we had both been so busy to talk. I found out he had been promoted from vice-captain to captain after the previous one left. He was progressing so much in football and I could definitely see him signing for the first team very soon. I was glad at how our friendship had turned out: relaxed and understanding that we were both busy people. I think that's why we get along so well. Sometimes if you spend too much time with someone, it becomes boring and you don't look forward to seeing them. But with Matías, I know he's always there even if we sometimes go weeks without speaking. It had been a little over 6 months since we moved to Barcelona and so far, everything was how we expected and more. The people are so kind and welcoming, the food is delicious and the football is pretty much perfect. I'm so grateful I got to start my career in such an incredible place.