01

"Ladies and Gentlemen come see the magical Cherry Freight! Beautiful blonde hair with blue eyes and long slim legs! Only 700£ for any event!" Arnold screams into the crowd.

I stand on a wooden box to make me taller for the crowd to see. Showing my hands moving to making flower crowns and paper butterflies float around me.

That is how I spent every evening trying to get money to pay off my parents debt. It's a large debt that has taken 10 years of my life working for Arnold, my handler.

Didn't always have to work like my life depends on it. I had my mom, my dad, Cassandra and Archie, my little sister and little brother.

When mom was pregnant with Cassandra, dad panicked and asked London's street gangster for money. I was 4, when Cassandra was born, forcing us to move into the gangster's home.

Dad began to come home drunk after working with Arnold, he started yell at mom for having another baby and being tight on money. This went on for a year until mom got pregnant again.

Dad went mad hearing the news, all he ever cared about was making money nothing but money. He would yell, break anything in his path and sometimes hit mom but never Cassandra and I.

"Little Kat, Would you like to name the little baby?" Mommy asked me on my 6th birthday. I got no cake or gifts that year.

"L-little Archie." I said while hugging her.

"Mommy's gift to you, little Kat." Mommy says rubbing my back.

Four months after little Archie was born disaster struck. Dad came home in a rush, telling us to pack our clothes to leave. Dad had stole a large amount of money from Arnold to leave the country.

Arnold and his men were already at the door when we were ready to leave. They had knifes in hands, yelling at dad by the time they got in.

Mommy gave me Archie before leading Cassandra and I to the restroom locking us in there. Mommy cried for us to be safe and dad yelled to be freed from Arnold.

Arnold yelled for his money. I tried my best to keep Cassandra and Archie safe, hugging them closer to me. Everything was so loud and bright, I tried blocking everything out of mind.

A few minutes later the yelling has stopped, someone bangs on the door trying to open it. After a few tries it opens revealing Arnold and his men covered in blood. My parents.

Cassandra began to scream and Archie cries loudly. Cassandra ran for it before being knocked out by one of Arnold's men. They turned back to me, tears slowly streamed down my face as I looked ahead to my parents bloody on the floor.

"This won't hurt little girl. Just give us the money and we'll leave." Arnold said holding the knife closer to my neck.

"I d-don't know. I didn't t-take anything." I stuttered out holding Archie closer to me.

"Yes! You do you filthy liar!" Arnold yelled at me pressing the knife to my throat feeling a slight burn.

"I d-d-don't k-" I tried to speak when Arnold cuts my throat. My vision blurs while holding Archie tightly into me.

"Let's get your sister up, shall we?" Another said.

I tried to grab the others knife causing him to backhand me to the floor. Archie cries are heard through the silence. The other kicked me in the ribs, hearing a crack I curled inward.

Getting a hold of his foot, I think to make him feel the same way I feel. Fire began to spread around his clothes. The heat and screams of pain are heard from the other.

"Let's get out of here. We'll get them at the hospital." The last of Arnold's men said.

"Make yourself pretty, Cherry. You got a booking." Arnold roughly says in my ear, pulling me from my thoughts.

I look forward to see women gather around bring their husbands in tail. Little gasps and awws are heard as I move my hands to make paper lovebirds fly together over the couples.

"What else can she do, sir?" A woman from the crowd says.

"Well it's the ends of summer. So..." Arnold stops short as my cue to make fireworks and breezes of sparkles like glitter.

Small wows and giggles of joy went through the crowd. Curious hands touch the air.

"Does she have any openings?" The same woman asks.

"When would you like her to perform?" Arnold asks with a greedy grin.

"The 15th of this month." The woman says.

I hide my surprised face as the 15th of August I decided to escape the hands of my handler, Arnold. I would visit Archie in the home for the blind, one last time on the 13th before promising to return for him by the next winter. He went blind after our parents deaths, caused by trauma the doctors say.

That is how he will know if I made it out alive or not. I will visit Cassandra's grave on the 10th before my plan. She died from cancer just a month after her 12th birthday.

Then I will leave, taking my life back. Changing from Cherry Freight, my stage name to Katharina Bellworth, my real name. Exposing my real and natural hair and eye color to the shades of honey brown hair and a dark brown eyes.

I doubt Arnold will recognize me apart from the scar around my eye and neck. But I'll be away from him and his tortures.