Chapter 3 - Training

I awake opening my eyes to pitch black as if they were still closed, forgetting what had happened! My head heavy and thumping I gently massage my temples and try to re open my eyes it's still pitch black, slowly I start to regain my memory of the events that I'd last remembered and panic starts to kick in, my heart racing, wondering where I am I start to shout out, cry for help but I don't hear a thing other than the echo of my own voice. I feel all around me but all I can feel is a hard mattress that I'm laying on and what feels like a metal wall. Where the hell am I?!!! I shout for help again "can anyone hear me, hello, please can someone help me" still no reply. I feel down my body I'm wearing what seems to be a long dress with heavy, clumpy boots.

After what felt like hours I suddenly hear footsteps and I start to call out again "Hello, is someone there?, Please I'm trapped in here, help". Almost deafening I hear the sound of something metal against the room I'm in and then a bolt being lifted, A door swings opening flooding light into the room I was in. I shield my eyes trying to adjust them to the brightness and see two figures standing before me.

"Cmon then girlie out you come" I recognise that voice it's Mabel! I stand slowly a little wobbly on my feet, my head still throbbing and my eyes still not quite fully adjusted to the bright rays of sunshine beaming in on me. I walk slowly to Mabel, as I just get near enough to her she grabs hold of my hands to steady me. "Wh wh where am I?" I ask, "shhh now come with me and watch your step". I step out then look behind me to see that I was in a shipping container! I look around at my surroundings to see many of the same containers some I can hear girls screaming, shouting, others with doors open there must have been around twenty of them!.

"Mabel, can you please tell me where I am and what's happening" She frowns at me, grabs my hand and places it palm upwards using a cane she whacks me with it instantly drawing blood! "I'm Aunt Mabel to you, do NOT call me by my first name only again, do I make myself clear". Shocked I look up to her and I can only nod my head to petrified to even answer yes. "Good girl, now please follow me".

I follow her slowly to what looks like an old metal warehouse as I'm walking I can't help but notice this old fashioned red dress I'm wearing. Before stepping into the building Aunt Mabel places a hat on my head, then I remember what happened to the girl! "Right in you come ladies hurry up, I haven't got all day!". I vaguely look to my side and see four other girls standing exactly in the same confused until everything comes flooding back to me from the events of yesterday!

Walking into the warehouse following Aunt Mabel she asks us to all line up in a row against the wall, the warehouse was very open in front of us was twelve single beds to the right a small kitchen area and to the left a toilet block, no windows and just the one door that we came through. This is not going to be an easy place to escape especially as there was guards out the front and more than likely all around the premises I thought.

"Now ladies I know your all wondering where you are and what your doing here so I'm going to explain". I look to the left then to my right at the other women and notice them eager to find out. "Now you have been brought over to a private island which we call Eden, the community here is small only around two hundred people live here, we are a religious group that believe that children our the biggest blessing, they are gods gift. We are requiring Handmaids to live with certain families to help populate and grow are amazing community and you twelve girls have been chosen to be the new handmaids. You should find yourselves very lucky to have the positions, now are there any questions?"

I look over to the other girls, some of them are crying, some look go smacked I feel a mix of emotions but can't even think straight let alone show any kind of emotion. One of the ladies puts her hand up "Yes Laura, go ahead" Aunt Mabel orders her. "What is a handmaid?" Laura asks. "Now that's a good question, a handmaid is a respected member of the household who will carry a child for your commander and his wife, nursing the child giving that child the best start in life to be born, live, grow in this special place Eden". One girl collapses on the floor, the girl next to her gasps and bends down checking she's ok. A lonesome tear runs down my face, I look up and raise my hand "Yes Jenny, go ahead" I already have a family, and a loving husband at home to which I'm sure they are extremely worried about me and the girls will be missing me as their mum, How long are we expected to
Stay here for?". "Ah Jenny, a lot of the girls have family but you will be making new families here in Eden, you won't be going back home! We're your family now it's gods gift that us women carry children and keep up the population, now does anyone else have any questions?", "NO" I shout "you can't do this keep us here without our permission, I want to go home to my own family I'm sure the same as everyone else here, your crazy if you think we're staying here!". "Oh Jenny,Jenny,Jenny! We're not going to have problems with you surely! I'd hate to have to call the guards in to punish you so soon"! I look over at her wide eyed shaking my head with tears streaming down my face. "I didn't think so" Aunt Mabel replies "now pick a bed each, the guards will soon bring you in some lunch and water after lunch we shall start training" Aunt Mabel then walks out of the warehouse.
  Everyone just stood there still in there places with mixed emotions of sobbing, crying, panic but most of all scared. The girl that passed out has just come too, sitting up on the floor still in shock. I make the first move and head over to one of the beds, feeling the need that I just need to sit down.

Sorry for such long time updating, let me know what you think ❤️ to you all