one

They'd been driving for what felt like seven thousand years

Sarah's older brother by one year, Liam, drove slower than their grandma while Sarah sat next to him with her feet up on the dashboard. Their mother, Jackie passed out in the backseat, looking alert even in her sleep.

"Go faster." Sarah urged Liam, poking him in the shoulder. "Let's pass that kid on the bike."

Liam shrugged her off." Never touch the driver and take your dirty feet off my dashboard."

Sarah wiggled her toes back and forth, insisting they were clean. "It's not your dashboard. It's gonna be my car soon, you know."

"If you ever get your license." He scoffed. "People like you shouldn't even be allowed to drive."

"Hey, look." Sarah said, pointing out the window. "That guy in a wheelchair just lapped us!"

Ignoring her, Liam focused on driving, and Sarah started fiddling with the radio.

One of her favourite things about going to the beach was the radio stations. She was as familiar with them as she was with the ones back home, and listened to Q94 made her feel like she was really at the beach.

Sarah found her favourite station, the one that played everything from pop to oldies to hip-hop. Tom Petty was singing 'Free Fallin'.

She sang along with him. "She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis. Loves horses and her boyfriend too."

Liam reached over to switch the station, and Sarah slapped his hand away.

"Sarah, your voice makes me want to run this car into the ocean." He said, pretending to swerve right.

Sarah sang even louder, waking up their mother, who started singing too. They both had terrible voices, and Liam shook his head disbelief. He hated being outnumbered, especially being the only guy in the family without their dad to take his side.

They drove through town slowly, and even though Sarah had just teased Liam about it, she didn't really mind. She loved this drive, this moment. Seeing the town again, Jimmy's Crab Shack, the Putt Putt, all the surf shops. It was like coming home after you'd been gone a long, long time. It held a million promises of summer and of what just might be.

As they got closer and closer to the house, Sarah could feel that familiar flutter in her chest. They were almost there.

She rolled down the window and took it all in. The air tasted just the same, smelled just the same. The wind making her hair feel sticky, the salty sea breeze, all of it felt just right. Like it had been waiting for her to get there.

Liam elbowed his sister with a teasing smirk. "Are you thinking about Conrad?"

"No." Sarah snapped.

Jackie stuck her head between the two seats. "Sarah, do you still like Conrad? From the looks of things last summer, I thought there might be something between you and Jeremiah."