twenty-eight

(Warning; Mature Content)

LAST WINTER

It was, without a doubt, one of the best nights of Sarah's life, right up there with New Year's Eve at Disney world when she was nine. Her dad was alive and they watched firework rocket over Cinderella's palace, and Liam didn't even complain.

When Conrad called, she didn't recognize his voice, partly because she wasn't expecting it and partly because she was still half-asleep.

"I'm in the car on my way to your house. Can I see you?" He asked.

It was twelve-thirty in the morning. Boston was four and a half hours away. He had driven all night.

He wanted to see her.

Sarah told him to park down the street and she would meet him on the corner, after her mother had gone to bed. He said he'd wait.

Sarah turned the lights off and waited by the window, watching for taillights. As soon as she saw his car, she wanted to run outside, but she had to wait. She could hear her mother rustling around in her room, and she knew Jackie would read in bed for at least half an hour before she fell asleep.

It felt like torture, knowing he was out there waiting for her, not being able to go to him. It was a crazy idea, because it was winter, and it would be freezing cold in Cousins. But when he suggested it, it felt crazy in a good way.

In the dark Sarah put on the scarf that Granna knit her for Christmas. Then she shut her bedroom door and tiptoed down the hallway to her mother's room, pressing her ear against the door. The light was off, and she could hear Jackie snoring softly. Liam wasn't even home yet, which was lucky for Sarah, because he's a light sleeper.

Jackie was finally asleep; the house was still and silent. Their Christmas tree was still up. They kept the lights on all night because it made it feel like Christmas, like any minute, Santa could show up with gifts. Sarah didn't bother leaving her a note. Jackie would call her in the morning, when she woke up and wondered where her daughter was.

Sarah crept down the stairs, careful on the creaky step in the middle, but once she was out of the house, she flew down the front steps, across the frosty lawn. It crunched along the bottoms of her sneakers. She forgot to put on her coat. She remembered the scarf, but no coat.

His car was on the corner, right where it was supposed to be. The car was dark, no lights, and she opened the passenger side door like she had done it a million times before.

Sarah poked her head inside, but she didn't go in, not yet. She wanted to look at him first. It was winter, and he was wearing a grey fleece. His cheeks were pink from the cold, his tan had faded, but he still looked the same.

"Hi." Sarah greeted.

"Hey." Conrad greeted with a wide smile.

"I can't believe you're here." She admitted.