──────── ❝ earth ❞

set in the same modern world as our earth , many things are similar between ours and theirs save for the secret existence of fantasy species hidden in the shadows of the city . for most citizens , they will live their whole lives without ever coming across these species or seeing magic with their own eyes and there will be individuals in this book who live such lives . for others in this book , magic is all they know and their lives are so deeply intertwined with it that their stories will surround it . who will you be ?

─────────────────────────────────

SPECIESᴏᴠᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ ,, a non-exhaustive list of all the species that stay undercover in the world

SPECIES
ᴏᴠᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ ,, a non-exhaustive list of all the species that stay undercover in the world . i'll mainly be only listing down species that are prominent in the world or in the lives of my character but whatever species you want to imagine from common fantasy lore probably does exist ! non-human species are collectively referred to as the "underworld" .

ᴡɪᴛᴄʜᴇꜱ ,, beings who practise the arcane arts by drawing on the magic already present in nature . through their distillation of such magic , they are able to brew potions , connect with higher beings and foresee events that have not happened yet

ꜱᴏʀᴄᴇʀᴇʀꜱ ,, beings who are inherently born with magic and are able to harness it . typically they are not all powerful and tend to only be blessed with some powers but not all . while they can train to improve what they were born with , they cannot learn new powers

ᴡᴇʀᴇ-ꜱʜɪꜰᴛᴇʀꜱ ,, were-wolves being the most popular race of this species although their species extends to far more than just wolves . their popularity stems from the fact that wolves tend to stick in pack while other weres like the feline species are solitary animals . they do not require a full moon to transform and are fully capable of complex thoughts even when in their animal form

ᴠᴀᴍᴘɪʀᴇꜱ ,, creatures of the night who require blood to survive . when the proper steps are taken , one can cause a human to shift into a vampire . this is incredibly illegal and is why the ministry keeps careful watch on them and their numbers . while not immortal , they do live very long lives although it is usually a lonely experience . they are not allergic to garlic and do not burn in the sun but they have shown to be sensitive to too much sunlight . 

ᴍᴇʀꜰᴏʟᴋ ,, the merfolk include both the sirens and mers . the former are more aggressive and tend to stay away from humans while the latter enjoy the company of humans and some have chosen to staying on land with them . both are capable of shifting their tails into legs at will however if salt water touched them they will be forced to shift back , a symbol of how the ocean will always be their home

ꜰᴀᴇ ,, elves among other fae fall under this category and while centuries ago there were the seelie and unseelie courts , they have long since been disbanded by the ministry and the fae have been solitary creatures since . they are only obvious through their golden eyes and pointed ears as well as their species inability to lie . it seems to be a limitation for the strong magical powers they were given and their insight into magic as a whole . nonetheless , they have long since mastered the art of half-truths and still thrive on modern earth .

MAGIC
ᴏᴠᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ ,, magic exists in everything in this world however not all species are able to harness it let alone see it . humans for one are not able to harness it or see it while creatures like vampires are only able to see magic and not harness it . even then , species like sorceres and weres who can use magic to a certain extent are unable to fully control it beyond what their species is capable of doing . magic is still wildly beyond the understanding of the species and more research is still being put in to understand it .

ɢʟᴀᴍᴏᴜʀ ,, sometimes glamour is used by certain species in order to conceal any physical features that make then appear different from humans . creatures like the merfolk and weres do not need it as they are capable of physically changing their appearance but for species like elves and vampires , glamour helps them hide certain features from the human eye without actually changing parts of themselves

MINISTRY OF MAGIC
ᴏᴠᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ ,, the ministry along with the council were founded during world war two . admist the human struggles of opposing countries , there were magical creatures who backed opposing sides . their determination to war efforts would lead to them revealing their identities and it only escalated the war even more . when the world war was over , one were-cat stepped up and called for a new change in the underworld .  he declared that things needed to be different for their own safety and to prevent another world war from breaking out again . this led to the formation of the ministry and the council of seven .

ᴀɢᴇɴᴅᴀ ,, the ministry's main agenda is to ensure the safety of the underworld as well as the safety of humans and they do this by ensuring the two worlds do not collide . all underworld citizens who want to live honest lives working with humans are required to have their identities recorded by the ministry . likewise , all mentions of the existence if the underworld during the war have been erased or passed off as folklore and exaggeration by fatugued soldiers . while hybrids were once forbidden , it has proved to only cause rebellion among the underworld and so they have been permitted so long as their identities are recorded . this has proved to be an issue since so many go undocumented but it is being improved upon .

ʀᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ,, certain humans have been given the privellege of knowing about the underworld such as those who help pass on information and high ranking members of the government . it is through this that the ministry as well as the businesses set up by members of the underworld have been able to operate legally .

ᴄᴏᴜɴᴄɪʟ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ ,, refer to the highest ranking seven members in the ministry . typically for the sake of democratic peace , each of the members will be of a different species . they help speak on behalf of their own species , the minority species who do not have their own representative and of course , the well-being of the human population . they are seen as the most intelligent and benevolent of their kind and it is the greatest honour to be part of the council . every decade there is a voting for the new council and while council members can reccomend who they want their successor to be , they cannot enforce it

ᴇɴꜰᴏʀᴄᴇʀꜱ ,, are the term given to those who work in the council and serve to enforce the rules of the underworld as decreed by the council of seven