76 (Book 3)

Soon Uncle Vernon was back with Marge. I went in making sure Shaun and myself looked presentable. Harry came down the stairs.

"Do something about your hair!" Said Aunt Petunia.

There was really no point. Harry's hair did whatever it wanted. I believe mine was starting to act the same way. It's getting more fluffy being short. There was the car pulling up. I looked over to the mirror. I pushed my hair back with a headband. To show off my earrings.

"Get the door." Hissed Aunt Petunia.

"No need to get hissy." I said.

Aunt Marge hated Harry. No idea why she hates him so much. Every time she came over it wasn't that bad for me. Except for the fact I have to pretend I don't know anything this week. Harry opened up the door. There was Aunt Marge on the threshold. She was very like Uncle Vernon, large, beefy, and purple-faced. She even had a mustache, not as bushy as his. In one hand she held an enormous suitcase, and tucked under the other was an old and evil-tempered bulldog.

"Where's my Dudders? Where's my neffypoo?" Asked Aunt Marge.

Dudley came waddling down the hall, his blonde hair plastered to his fat head, a bow tie just visible under his chin. Aunt Marge thrust the suitcase into Harry's stomach, knocking the wind out of him. Seized Dudley in a tight one-arm hug and planted a large kiss on his cheek.

I knew perfectly well that Dudley only put up with Aunt Marge's hugs because he was well paid for it. Sure enough, when they broke apart Dudley had a crisp twenty-pound note clutched in his fat fist.

"Petunia!" Said Aunt Marge.

She walked past both of us. Aunt Marge and Aunt Petunia kissed, or rather, aunt Marge bumped her large jaw against Aunt Petunia's bony cheekbone. Uncle Vernon now came in, smiling jovially as he shut the door.

"Tea, Marge? And what will Ripper take?" Asked Uncle Vernon.

"Ripper can have some tea out of my saucer." Said Aunt Marge.

They proceeded into the kitchen, leaving me and Harry alone in the hall with the suitcase. But I wasn't complaining, any excuse not to be with Aunt Marge was fine by me. Harry began to take the suitcase upstairs into the spare bedroom. I picked up Shaun and followed them into the kitchen.

Then out the back to the garden. They didn't notice me pass at all. I saw Harry come back into the kitchen a few minutes later. I walked in and stood in the doorway.

"Who's looking after the other dogs, Marge?" Asked Uncle Vernon.

"Oh, I've got Colonel Fubster managing them. He's retired now, good for him to have something to do. But I couldn't leave poor old Ripper. He pines if he's away from me." Said Aunt Marge.

Ripper began to growl again as Harry sat down. I came around behind him taking a seat. Then picking up Shaun so he sat on my lap. This directed Aunt Marge's attention towards us.

"So! Still here, are you?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Yes." Said Harry.

"Don't you say 'yes' in that ungrateful tone. It's damn good of Vernon and Petunia to keep you. Wouldn't have done it myself. You'd have gone straight to an orphanage if you'd been dumped on my doorstep." Said Aunt Marge.

"Would be better." I whispered.

"Ah, Hallie. I didn't recognize you. You dyed your hair. A much better color." Said Aunt Marge.

"Um, thank you." I said.

"Still can't remember huh? Oh, how I'd wish to have your memory. Would save a lot of time and heartache." Said Aunt Marge.

"I'm sure." I said.

It felt weird using an innocent and cautious voice. All I wanted to do was say everything I was thinking straight to her face. Harry smiled.

"Don't you smirk at me! I can see you haven't improved since I last saw you. I hoped school would knock some manners into you. Where is it that you send him, again, Vernon?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"St. Brutus's, it's a first-rate institution for hopeless cases." Said Uncle Vernon.

"I see. Do they use the cane at St. Brutus's, boy?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Er...." Said Harry.

Uncle Vernon knotted curly behind Marge's back.

"Yes, all the time." Said Harry.

"Is that why you come back with bruises?" I asked.

"Yeah...." Said Harry.

"Excellent, I won't have this namby-pamby, wishy-washy nonsense about not hitting people who deserve it. A good thrashing is what's needed in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred. Have you been beaten often?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Oh, yeah. Loads of times." Said Harry.

"I still don't like your tone, boy. If you can speak of your beatings and that casual way, they clearly aren't hitting you hard enough. Petunia, I'd write if I were you. Make it clear that you approve the use of extreme force in this boy's case." Said Aunt Marge.

"Heard the news this morning, Marge? What about that escaped prisoner, eh?" Asked Uncle Vernon.

Aunt Marge hadn't taken any interest in Shaun. Glad, wasn't sure what I'd say.

"So, who is the father?" Asked Aunt Marge.

She was looking at Shaun.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Who's the father of that little boy?" Asked Aunt Marge.

"Oh, no he's not mine. He's a cousin from our father's side. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia graciously let him stay with us." I said.

"Oh please. That's the story you tell the neighbors and people at the store. He's yours, he's got your annoying red hair." Said Aunt Marge.

"Um..." I said.

"She went to a camp." Said Aunt Petunia.

"Someone took advantage of the fact I can't remember. So I don't know who." I said.

"Poor girl. I guess you wouldn't remember if you were coming onto him." Said Aunt Marge.

I blinked a few times. Composing myself. Don't yell..... don't yell.

"I wouldn't do that." I said.

"You wouldn't remember. Your mother was probably a slut too." Said Aunt Marge.

I held onto Harry's hand keeping him from standing.

"I wouldn't know. If you would refrain from using my mother in vain. She's dead and God wouldn't want us to talk about her in such a way." I said.

Let's try the religious way. She looked at me closely and went back to talking with Uncle Vernon. I moved Shaun closer to me. That night after I put Shaun to bed I left. Going back to the car.

"Hello there. Let's see if we can fix you up huh." I said.

I had brought tools and a book about fixing cars with me. I began looking at everything and fixing it. I did this every night. I couldn't sneak away to work so this is how I got away. I brought Harry a couple of times. Soon the car was loads better.

It had a new coat of paint, and all the dents and scratches were gone. I got the glass fixed. The Invisibility button was working and it drove nicely. I stood back looking at it with Harry.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Looks good. Let's get back." Said Harry.

I brought the car around the back of the house. There was an alleyway there. It stayed there now.