22. Aidan

I've sometimes wondered whether emotions would hit different if I was human

I've sometimes wondered whether emotions would hit different if I was human. Before I let myself get weak, I used to feel everything the pack felt. Honestly, it was fucking overwhelming some days. But I didn't know any different. As the next in line to oversee everyone, I was privy to some shit no one needs to know or understand about someone else. Those surges of complex emotions coming from all directions is one of the things I'm not looking forward to regaining after the ceremony. I'm hanging onto the hope that I can control when and how I experience all that when I have more power.

Right now, though? I'm enjoying being a carefree and careless motherfucker, while I watch Em break up with the gnat. He's literally on his knees outside Emmerson's residence begging her to reconsider breaking up with him. People are streaming past them, averting their gaze. Fuck that. I'd stare.

I pick my nails and keep careful watch. His behavior seems unhinged.

Is this really how humans act with someone who has shown them so little genuine interest? There's no way he has even a spark of intelligence if what they had is really so appealing to him.

Or human relationships are a lot more basic than I ever expected.

Emmerson is the only human who has ever caught my interest, and it turns out, she's probably not organic. Someone sprayed pesticide all over her, tried to keep the weed of whatever she really is from poking through.

When she glances up with a helpless expression, and he tries to latch onto her arm, I'm done watching. He doesn't get to touch her anymore.

From the shadows, I shake myself out of invisibility and approach them. "You ready to go yet, babe?" I ask, slinging my arm around her shoulders and drawing her into my side.

At her feet, the gnat is sobbing. It'd be comical if it wasn't sort of disturbing. What the fuck is wrong with him?

Is he always like this? I ask Emmerson. But I already know he's not; I've watched them enough to understand he's laidback, which is one of the things the can't-remember-shit version of Emmerson told me she liked about him. He was easy. Uncomplicated.

He just keeps begging me to stay with him. We've barely seen each other the last couple of weeks. I don't understand.

"Are you..." The gnat tries to get the words out between sobs. "Are you the new boyfriend?"

"Yeah," I say without hesitation. Anything that'll move this shit show along, I'm going to agree to it. Maybe if he believes she's moved on, he'll pull himself together. I'm starting to feel some second-hand embarrassment as people mill past, shooting him furtive glances. One random person pats him on the shoulder in solidarity. I glance down at Emmerson. "We're leaving."

She nods. When she turns to leave with me, the gnat fumbles for her shirt, and I brush his hand aside with a rush of frustration.

"Keep your spindly gnat hands off her," I growl.