Chapter 43

Tw: gun violence

John POV

I wake up early in the morning, thankfully Alex is still asleep. I get myself dressed before grabbing a pistol. I'm going to end James Hamilton, whether it's at the duel or if I have to track him down, I will end him.

I ride out to the meeting point, I don't bring a doctor, I'm intending to kill him, not save him.  I did leave a note for Alexander though, in case of the worst, but when i get home I'm hoping he'll still be asleep and never have seen it. 

When I get there I see James standing there alone. Unsurprisingly he has no one to chose as his second. I walk over to him "alright let's get this over with, I don't want you breathing on this earth another minute" I load the pistol and take my paces.

"Alright, but I think you should know that I wrote a letter that will be published as soon as word of my death gets out" he says walking to his place.

"Oh yeah? And why do you think I give a single fuck about anything you write?"

"I know you don't, I just thought you'd like to know that it contains a letter I found from your wife to my son,write while you were away, a letter which I'm sure will disgrace her name. And further more letters from you to my son which would likely get you killed" he says smugly.

"Hm I see" i look at him "well that's really funny because I only wrote  letters questioning why he wasn't answer me, a matter which was purely for the purpose of needing updates from New York" I smile and fiddle with the trigger "oh and for the record, next time you wanna blackmail someone or check if their wife is alive or not, you look like an idiot. Oh and further more, there is not a soul on this earth that cares whether you live or die, no one is sitting waiting to send out any letter from you now let's get this over with"

"Fine just give me a minute I think my gun is broke" he stalling, why? He's gonna die no matter what. But whatever, I what him fiddle with the trigger then shoot the gun at the ground I guess to check it.

"Try loading the gun dumbass" this is taking too long "and if you don't hurry up I'm just gonna shoot you now"

"Alright alright" he loads then gun and we get ready to shoot. He's counting out loud. At 7 turn around and shoot him. He yells out and falls down. I walk over to him and step on his wound.

"I want so badly to leave you here  to die slowly and painfully, and I will but I don't want there to be the slightest chance you survive, you deserve to be in pain, and bleed out and face what you've done. But its safer to make sure you die myself. And I pray you will suffer for the rest of eternity" I hold my gun at him and shoot him through the chest. And then once more in the side for safety. Then I start walking away when I'm over the river I see what looks like Alex riding towards me. When he gets close enough he stops and runs over to me.

"John, you alive" he hugs me tightly "I saw your note and I was so worried, is it over? Who did you shoot? Or did they cancel?" He looks at me worried.

"Oh uh, I did shoot them" I take his hand "it was your dad.. and im fairly sure he didn't survive, or at least won't" I hope Alex isn't mad, I know he hates his father but I would still understand if he was upset. Or mad that I didn't tell him

"Oh...right" he looks across the river "Is he still over there?" I nod  "can you come back over with me?"

"Of course" I take his hand and go across the river with him. James is still laying in the same spot, I can't tell if he's dead or alive. I follow Alex over to him.

He's still alive, hardly. He looks up at Alex "son- you're here.." he smiles

"I'm not your son" he kneels next to him. "I thought about what I would do if you ever came back, I thought about it for years. You ruined my life, and my mothers life. You forced James become to the man of the house when he was 12. You deserve to stuffer, I'm so fucking glad John's the one that got to shoot you because I want you to die knowing your son's husband was the one to kill you, I hope you're ashamed of me and I hope you despise me. Because no matter how disgusting you think I am I've still accomplished more in my life then you could even dream of" he stands up and takes my hand. "Go fuck yourself"

Me and Alex walk back to our place. The kids are awake now and when they see Alex they run over and basically tackle him to the ground "careful kids, he's not feeling 100% so you'll have to wait a few days before you can play with him" i pick up Anne who's climbed onto Alex "but your grandma and aunt Cornelia are here and I'm sure they'd be happy to play with you"

"Dada! I won an award at school for my math class" Gabriel says, completely ignoring everything I said "I'm very good at counting money just like you!"

"Oh I'm so proud of you my angel, later you'll have to show me some of the things you've been learning" Alex smiles and looks up at me "but I'm afraid your papas right, I need to rest a bit, you know what he's like when we don't sleep" he whispers to the kids who just giggle.

"Papa you're so boringgggg we wanna hang out with dada!!!" Anne smiles, "dada can we go get ice cream"

"Alright as boring as I may be, dada needs to rest. He can take you for ice cream another day" I put her down and help up Alex. I take Alex upstairs and help him into bed

"Jack im okay really, I already feel a bit better" he kisses my hand "and if you're going to make me rest you're going to sleep as well"

"Yeah I will. I'm just worried about you. You look worse then you have in years" I sit on the bed with him

He laughs a little and smiles "wow thanks" he lays down and leans on me "you don't need to worry my love I'll be ok, just get some sleep. Everything's gonna be okay now."