Chapter 4 Duel

Time moved fast and before Niya could remember it was the next morning. The day of the duel. Even though Niya practiced as much as she could she still did not feel it was enough.

It never felt enough.

It was early morning Niya took her favorite horse which was a brown-colored beauty name Thundercloud. She made her way to the academy grounds. When students turn eighteen years old, they are allowed to live out of the academy and come there occasionally for practice. While going for practice was not mandatory, taking part in weekly sparring was.

Weekly sparring always took place between equal opponents. When one of them won, they were made to spar with someone who was previously considered a bit better than them. This procedure was followed by the actual army too. And this is how people's ranking increases and they get promoted.

Since the order of knights is the army in training before enlisting it is taken very seriously.

Niya got ready and made her way to the academy grounds. Although she did not need to arrive so early because the competition always took place from weaker to stronger and Niya's rank came among the strongest. But she still went to cheer on Ralph.

Together with Niya Ralph has been practicing hard for a whole week too. So, she had high hopes of him promoting to quite high levels.

When she reached the academy grounds it was filled with the whole order. There was a buzz of excitement in the air among the people too.

Niya kept her horse in the stable and made her way to Ralph sitting on the benches by the competition grounds. There was a total of three grounds where competitions will be taking place since there are going to be so many competitions and it will save time if they are being done simultaneously.

"Ralph!"

"Niya, what are you doing here so early? Your match will not start before ten in the morning."

"I came to see how much you learned this week."

Ralph blushed and said,

"You should not say things like that to a man Niya, it sounds like----" Before Ralph could finish his sentence, Niya interrupted him.

"What does it sound like?"

Ralph blushed more and said in a squeaky voice

"It sounds like you are cheering for your suiter."

Hearing this Niya started to laugh, she laughed so hard that her stomach hurt and tears filled her eyes,

"What made you even think that way, get stupid ideas out of your head kid." Saying this Niya hit Ralph lightly on the head.

What both Ralph and Niya did not know was that that day, not only Niya even Leh had arrived earlier than usual at the academy grounds. And he had heard every word of their conversation and right now was fuming at Ralph for even instating that there can be something between. Add to the fact that Niya came early in the morning to watch Ralph Spar. Leh was angry enough to seek revenge.

He walked to where Niya and Ralph were standing and called,

"Ralph."

"Second prince." Ralph bowed. Niya straight of ignored him.

"I would like to talk to you."

"Yes, second prince."

"Alone" Before Ralph could agree Niya interrupted,

"What could you possibly have to tell him that you cannot speak of in front of me?"

She was worried that the prince might bully her friend. Leh's jaw ticked.