Chapter 6 Empire situation

Niya had finally calmed down. She made her way to the stable and tried to avoid thinking about what had happened or she knew that it would further frustrate her. First, the fight with Ralph then the thing that happened between Leh and her, and she had thought that the day she won the duel would be the best day of her life. She internally scoffed, so much for the best day of her life.

Niya took her horse thunderstorm and made her way back to the general's mansion. When she arrived, the steward was standing at the door waiting for her arrival.

"My Lady." He bowed,

A servant came and took her horse to the stable. Usually, Niya would tend to thunderstorm on her own but today it seemed like she would not have the time to do so.

"The general has asked for you to appear at the drawing room for tea."

"Any particular reason for that?" Niya knew that her father cared for her deeply but he did not have much time for her, and when he did spend time with her it was usually due to official duties, she had to do being the general's daughter.

"The general himself will inform you about it, my Lady." As always like most servants the steward's loyalty was to her father.

Not saying another word Niya made her way to the drawing room. On arriving she noticed her father dressed in his casual home clothes if they can even called be that with how fancy they were. But most of the time she saw her father he was in armor, not that she saw much of him.

He was sitting on the couch completely relaxed or that was what he made everyone believe. But Niya was not fooled. The general of the empire of Jyon was a predator to his bones. The empire of Jyon had won more wars than Niya's age all because of the general.

Now, sitting on his couch sipping tea he looked like a rich merchant rather than a warrior.

"You asked for me, Father?"

"Niya, my daughter, take a seat." Niya sat down on the couch opposite him.

Without saying anything the general started making tea for his daughter. Silence filled the room except for the occasional sound that came from the general making tea for his daughter.

"Sugar?"

"Two spoons." Niya's heart warmed at her father's actions. For the whole kingdom, he was the fierce general, but when it came to Niya, he was just a father that wanted his daughter happy at all costs. His soldiers often described him as an impatient man, but when it came to Niya, he had all the patience in the world.

He made the tea and forwarded it to Niya. Niya took it and sipped,

"How is it?" her father asked.

"Warm."

"Hm, the crown prince has invited you to have tea at the palace gardens."

"What for?"

"I do not know. Since it is his highness who has asked for you to go. We cannot decline it would be a humiliation to the royal family."

"So, I have no option but to go?" Niya raised her eyebrows at her father as she lightly sipped the tea.

"It would appear so. But Niya be careful. He is the crown prince and future emperor of our empire but I do not trust him. The emperor is getting old and he would soon step down. I am trying to send you out of the empire before it happens."

"Why? Does the crown prince plan on harming the general's household once he is crowned the emperor?"

"No, he has not shown any hostility toward our household yet, but the crown prince should not be trusted. He is far too arrogant and the emperor has turned blind eye to it due to his years of guilt."