Sorry

I walk into the kitchen with Maya trailing behind me with my phone in her hands. "When you hear a speech do you like it when it opens with a joke?" "Depends." Liv states. I makes two bowls of cereal. "Is the persons funny." "Im funny. Am I funny?" He asks. "Will I get put out if I say no?" I ask. "Yes." "Still no." I state.

"Ah...maybe don't lead with a joke no." "Maybe don't..." he mocks Jordan. "Maya you think I'm funny?" She looks at me then at Billy.

"I'm three I'll laugh at anything." She says honestly. The twins chuckle. "Uh oh there goes that vein in his forehead. Take this outside." I tell her. She giggles and go outside.

"Want did you want?" "I want to talk to you about the drug test." Me and Liv look at each other. "They know everything already." He adds. "Oh. Ah don't worry about that test." "Dad you keep saying don't worry about it-" "you passed." My eyebrows furrow.

"What?" "Everyone on the team passed including you." He states. "Okay how- how is that possible?" "Well you got lucky. The drug left your system before the test." He states. "Sweet." He starts to walk off.

"Wait do you think the Malibu coach knew that I smoked weed?" He asks. "I doubt it. If he knew he wouldn't have reported the whole team." "Right. Right. Ok. Thanks dad." He leaves.

"I gotta go eat with Maya." I state. I walk over to the outside table.

Thank god I found something functional to wear to this event

Im seated by my mom and Grace.

"Actually I have a confession to make. Uh my kids helped me write this speech tonight and uh I was gonna open with what I thought was a- a strong joke but apparently uh I'm not very funny." Everyone laughs. "I'd like to thank my wife, my beautiful wife. She couldn't be here but without her none of this would be possible. Uh I'd like to thank the boosters who support what we're trying to do. And last but not least my team. My boys." They cheer. "Everytime we were faced with adversity this year they came back even stronger. They have represented our program with integrity and accountability. Anyway we've got some work left to do but uh I'm very proud to be head coach at Beverly so thank you for this honor. Thank you." We applaud when he's finished.

"Our final award of the night is for the division player of the year." I grab Spencer's hand. "Also from Beverly High. Spencer James." We stand on our feet and cheer. "THATS MY BOY!" He goes up on stage.

"Thank you. I uh wrote down a list of names to thank. I want to thank Coach Baker my team Jordan Baker my QB Gemini Flores my best friend my Mom my brother Dillon..." he hesitates.

He looks at me. I stare back confused. He puts the paper away. "You know looking down at that list of names remind me of another list." He states.

"Quintell Dennis. Marcus Heard. Tyson Glover. Jamerrill Maxwell...and Shawn Scott." My mom grabs my hand.